What does this infer?

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

What does this infer?

Post by Dave Davison »

Hi again...........Suddenly when I attempt to open a Word doc I get the attached message on screen, if I hit the "Esc" key however it disappears and the doc opens. What might have caused this to happen and how can this be prevented from appearing please?
Thanks Dave D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

HansV
Administrator

Re: What does this infer?

Post by HansV »

Does this happen for all documents, or for some documents, or for one specific document only?
Best wishes,
Hans

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

........thanks Hans.........will take notice of exactly when it happens & let you know. Regards Dave.

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

Does this happen for all documents, or just some specific documents?

Try selecting the entire document and setting the language to US English (or whatever your native Language is).
StuartR

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

Hi......checked the language setting which is already set to English UK & it usually happens when open a blank doc. Thanks Dave.

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

Dave Davison wrote:...it usually happens when open a blank doc....
The most likely cause of this is a problem with the content in Normal.dot (or Normal.dotx if you are running a later version of Word).

Can you open your normal template and check the language setting for any content in there.
StuartR

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

"Can you open your normal template and check the language setting for any content in there."
Hi Stuart.........pardon my dullness......computer language is not my forté.....do you mean open a blank Word? I have just opened the Winword in Office 11 in Progs and the language is set to English UK. If I am barking up the wrong tree sorry. Dave.

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

The normal template is a Word document that is used as the basis for new blank documents.
Please tell us what version of Windows you are running and which version of Microsoft Word. We can then tell you where to find this file.
StuartR

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

If I remember correctly, Dave uses Office 2003 on Windows XP. Here is a step-by-step description: Change the default language setting.
Best wishes,
Hans

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

Hans, Even if the default language setting is correct, there may be an odd paragraph with a different language in Normal.dot.

Dave, Try opening the file Normal.dot in C:\Documents and Settings\<your user name>\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates
You open this file by right clicking and choosing open, don't just double click it. Then select all the text in the document and set the language.
StuartR

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

StuartR wrote:Hans, Even if the default language setting is correct, there may be an odd paragraph with a different language in Normal.dot.
That's true.
Best wishes,
Hans