Protecteddocument events NOT triggered (2010)

Robie
5StarLounger

Protecteddocument events NOT triggered (2010)

Post by Robie »

I need to ask the user to save an attachment (to an email) to a folder before editing it. For this I thought I would set up the events and go but it doesn't work. It *never* executes "ProtectedViewWindowBeforeEdit" event (which is where we tell the user to save the document before editing). Any ideas highly appreciated. Thanks.

Code: Select all

Dim WithEvents oApp As Application
Dim WithEvents appWrd as Word.Application

Private Sub Document_Open()
    If appWrd Is Nothing Then
        Set oApp = Application
        Set appWrd = Word.Application
        If Not Application.ActiveProtectedViewWindow Is Nothing Then
            ' It displays this message when a 'protected document' is enabled for editing
            MsgBox ("Protected Mode")
        Else
'            do some other stuff before opening the document for editing
        End If
    End If
End Sub

Private Sub oApp_ProtectedViewWindowBeforeEdit(ByVal Window As ProtectedViewWindow, Cancel As Boolean)
    ' It *NEVER* gets here
    MsgBox ("Please save the attachment to a folder before editing it")
    Cancel = True
End Sub

HansV
Administrator

Re: Protecteddocument events NOT triggered (2010)

Post by HansV »

Word disables macros in protected view. So the Document_Open event procedure is not executed and hence oApp is not initialized.
The code would already have to be running before the user opens the document in protected view. But that clearly isn't possible if you send the document by e-mail.

BTW, why do you have TWO variables of type Application?
Best wishes,
Hans

Robie
5StarLounger

Post by Robie »

HansV wrote:Word disables macros in protected view. So the Document_Open event procedure is not executed and hence oApp is not initialized.
The code would already have to be running before the user opens the document in protected view. But that clearly isn't possible if you send the document by e-mail.

BTW, why do you have TWO variables of type Application?
Why I have two variable of type application? Doh. Should only be one.

Document_Open is called when I click 'Enable Editing' & I get the message displayed on the screen as a confirmation. oApp is initialised. It just doesn't trigger"oApp_ProtectedViewWindowBeforeEdit". I put in another event "oApp_ProtectedViewWindowDeactivate" for testing & this event *is* triggered (this event is triggered when we click Enable Editing).

Robie
5StarLounger

Post by Robie »

I created a very simple template just to test this out and it still doesn't work - damn it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Of course not. Once again: when you open a document in protected view, macros are disabled. As a consequence, the Document_Open event procedure does not run. If you then enable document content, and enable macros, the document is already open. So the Document_Open event procedure still doesn't run. And hence the various ProtectedViewWindow... event procedures are never activated.
You simply cannot do what you want. Instead, warn the recipient that they should not open the attachment directly, but save it to disk first, then open the saved version.
Best wishes,
Hans

Robie
5StarLounger

Post by Robie »

HansV wrote:Of course not. Once again: when you open a document in protected view, macros are disabled. As a consequence, the Document_Open event procedure does not run. If you then enable document content, and enable macros, the document is already open. So the Document_Open event procedure still doesn't run. And hence the various ProtectedViewWindow... event procedures are never activated.
You simply cannot do what you want. Instead, warn the recipient that they should not open the attachment directly, but save it to disk first, then open the saved version.
Ok. Thank you Hans. I agree to disagree with you just this one :0) as I know it works.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

So how did you get it to work for the recipient of the e-mail? I know that you can get it to work on your own PC.
Best wishes,
Hans

Robie
5StarLounger

Post by Robie »

HansV wrote:So how did you get it to work for the recipient of the e-mail? I know that you can get it to work on your own PC.
Aplogies for delay in replying, I was away for a while.

I just sent him a document to open and it came up with Enable Editing. When Enable Editing is clicked, it ran the code.
In any case, the company has decided to abandon the 'Enable Editing' feature for time-being - phew.