Hyperlink Style

Sundog
5StarLounger

Hyperlink Style

Post by Sundog »

In a large (17 MB) Word 2010 document, last year in December I made many hyperlinks in the running text to other heading locations in the document. My hyperlink style is blue underlined.

Today, when I try to insert a new one, via References > Cross-reference > Reference type=Heading > Insert reference to=Heading text > Insert as hyperlink=checked > For which heading > Insert, the text is inserted, its style is Hyperlink, and it works as a hyperlink, but its appearance is like my Body Text. No underlining, with black text, not blue.

Same thing when I Insert > Hyperlink > Place in this document >Select a place in this document > OK.

When I find an earlier one that is blue underlined and select the Format Painter, nothing changes when I apply the Format Painter to my new one; it remains black, not underlined.

(Unfortunately I am unable to provide a copy of this in-house document.)

What am I (or is Word) doing differently this year?!
Sundog

StuartR
Administrator

Re: Hyperlink Style

Post by StuartR »

This does normally work the way you would expect in Word 2010.

Have you tried the usual first steps of restarting word and restarting your computer?
Does it work correctly in other documents?
StuartR

Sundog
5StarLounger

Post by Sundog »

After restarting Word, the References method gives the same poor result, but the Insert Hyperlink method gives the desired result.

Any ideas? Did I clog Word up with too much stuff?
Sundog

macropod
4StarLounger

Post by macropod »

Hi Sundog,

Inserting a cross-reference via Insert|Cross-Reference should never format the cross-reference as a hyperlink (blue & underlined), unless the cross-reference range's underlying Style is formatted that way.

Unless someone's changed the Hyperlink Style, inserting a hyperlink via Insert|Hyperlink should always apply the blue & underlined formatting.
Paul Edstein
[Fmr MS MVP - Word]

Sundog
5StarLounger

Post by Sundog »

My Word brain must have emptied on New Year's Eve. Thanks.
Sundog