Capitalize First Letter Of Each Word

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Capitalize First Letter Of Each Word

Post by Dave Davison »

To perform the task inferred in the title, as may be desired for sub headings of a document [using XP] I previously simply highlighted the text then hit the Alt & F3 keys together which gave me the said result then hitting the keys again made all letters into capital case. Hitting the same keys yet again restored the text to it's original case. This function has suddenly stopped working though the keyboard shortcut confirms it is still assigned. Any suggestions as to how to restore this function please? Thanks Dave.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

HansV
Administrator

Re: Capitalize First Letter Of Each Word

Post by HansV »

The screenshot says ChangeCase is assigned to the shortcut Shift+F3, so it's not surprising that Alt+F3 doesn't work.
Best wishes,
Hans

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

Oops Hans, my mistake, I should have said Shift +F3 as you point out but the quandary still remains. Can't imagine why as it has just become apparent that the shortcut no longer works. I think the keyboard shortcut was set by default as I can not recall ever assigning the said keys for this task. Regards Dave.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Does the problem persist if you quit and restart Word? And if you restart your computer?
Best wishes,
Hans

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

Just tried that and the shortcut keys in question only toggle between; small Case; First letter of sentence is capitalized; then all letters are capitalized. First time I have encountered this since I first learned the keyboard shortcut way back in 2000. Cheers Dave.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

The way Shift+F3 operates depends on the current selection.
If your selection includes (part of) at least two sentences, Shift+F3 toggles between UPPER CASE, lower case and Sentence case.
If you have selected text within one sentence, Shift+F3 toggles between UPPER CASE, lower case and Title Case.
To get all options, select Format | Change Case...
Best wishes,
Hans

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

HansV wrote:If your selection includes (part of) at least two sentences, Shift+F3 toggles between UPPER CASE, lower case and Sentence case.
If you have selected text within one sentence, Shift+F3 toggles between UPPER CASE, lower case and Title Case.
With my Word 10, I only get Title Case if I select less than one sentence - i.e. if I select

"This is a sentence"

I can get Title Case, but if I select

"This is a sentence."
- including the period at the end, I get Sentence case.

In other words, I don't think you need at "least two sentences" for Sentence case, unless this is a W10 idiosyncrasy!
Leif

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

You are correct - you get Title Case if the selection is within one sentence and does not include the entire sentence.
Best wishes,
Hans

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

Thanks for feedback......it's a bit late now so will digest what was said and see maybe where I am going wrong. Cheers Dave.

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

Hi. just perused the comments and get the drift of the options, easy when one knows how. Thanks Dave.