Embed files

jmt356
SilverLounger

Embed files

Post by jmt356 »

How can I embed a file (pdf, Word document, etc.) into a Word document? I would be grateful if you could give instructions for both Word 2003 and Word 2000, if this feature is available.
Regards,

JMT

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Re: Embed files

Post by stuck »

Haven't got Word 200 or 2003 but on this PC I do have Word 97 and that's not a million miles form Word 2000.

Try clicking Insert | Object and see what the tabs on that dialog offer you. Probably the 'Create from File' tab will do what you want.

Ken

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

I'm using a later version of Word but I believe the principles are the same:

If you Insert/ Object, Create from File for a .pdf it is inserted as a double-clickable icon, probably not what you're looking for. Someone might correct me, but I believe you would have to use a tool that will save your .pdf as either a Word document or as a number of pictures. Some pdf editors enable you to copy parts of a document, put when you Paste, it appears as plain text. Or, if you try Paste Special, it doesn't allow you to create a link to the original - and is still plain text (or rtf) anyway.

Insert/ Object, Create from File for Word creates an EMBED field and you can't do much with this. If you copy, paste-special, paste link as a Word document it uses a different kind of field, but at least you are only inserting the selected text, rather than the whole document.

Alternatively, if you are able to save the .pdf as a Word document then you might consider the Word, Master Documents feature. This allows you to group a number of documents together, but offers the benefit of allowing you to use consistent page numbers and headers and footers across all these documents.

Just using Hyperlinks to the documents is another option.

Andy.
"I'm here to save your life. But if I'm going to do that, I'll need total uninanonynymity." Me Myself & Irene.

macropod
4StarLounger

Post by macropod »

Hi Andy,

Word's Master Document 'feature' is a guaranteed path to corruption. See:
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/General/WhyMa ... orrupt.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/General/RecoverMasterDocs.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.addbalance.com/word/masterdocuments.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Paul Edstein
[Fmr MS MVP - Word]

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

Thank you Paul. The first mentioned article is also an interesting discussion on the structure of a Word document.

There used to be a Microsoft Binder, but MS dropped it. Perhaps these articles give an indication as to why it was dropped.

Regards, Andy.
"I'm here to save your life. But if I'm going to do that, I'll need total uninanonynymity." Me Myself & Irene.