{ SEQ Identifier [Bookmark ] [Switches ] }

armsys
2StarLounger

{ SEQ Identifier [Bookmark ] [Switches ] }

Post by armsys »

what's the application/utility/benefit/purpose of using [Bookmark] in the {SEQ} code?
I've already studied all articles searchable by Google but still fail to grasp its idea.
Suppose there are 3 table captions:
Table {SEQ Table} <-bookmarked as TableNum
Table {SEQ Table}
Table {SEQ Table}

What's the purpose of {SEQ x TableNum}?
Regards,
Armstrong

StuartR
Administrator

Re: { SEQ Identifier [Bookmark ] [Switches ] }

Post by StuartR »

There are two different bookmarks in your question, and this could lead to some confusion.

The [ Bookmark ] in the question title corresponds to the bold word Table here
Table { SEQ Table } <-bookmarked as TableNum
it is used to distinguish this SEQ from any others that you may have in the same document.

The bookmark that you refer to as Tablenum seems to be a manually inserted bookmark, that you have added to the first SEQ field. This could be used if you need to add a cross reference to the SEQ number of this line somewhere else in the document.
StuartR

armsys
2StarLounger

Post by armsys »

StuartR,
Thanks for your help.
The core question of my post is: What's the application/utility/benefit/purpose of using [Bookmark] in the {SEQ} code?
Indeed my samle was confusing because of two {SEQ } were invovled.
Yes, my bookmark consists of "Table {SEQ Table}", ie, caption + field {SEQ}.
The second {SEQ}, namely, {SEQ x TableNum}, is the focus field in question.
{SEQ x TableNum} always returns 0 (zero). But why?
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/word- ... 55520.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; merely mentions the [bookmark] is intended for cross-reference, but didn't elaborate. Nor could Google generate any fruitful hits.
For the cross-reference you mentioned, when I click the {SEQ x TableNum}, it has no response like other normal cross-refereces.
Again, what's the meaningful purpose of using [Bookmark] in the field code {SEQ}?
Regards,
Armstrong

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

You could have two completely different sequences in a word document, both of them counting up separately. Each SEQ bookmark represents a completely independent counter.

You should NOT use an x in the middle of the field, as you show in { SEQ x TableNum }, so your two fields could appear as
Table { SEQ TableNum }
Figure { SEQ FigureNum }
Figure { SEQ FigureNum }
Figure { SEQ FigureNum }
Table { SEQ TableNum }
Table { SEQ TableNum }
Figure { SEQ FigureNum }

And this would display as
Figure 1
Figure 2
Figure 3
Table 1
Table 2
Figure 4
StuartR

armsys
2StarLounger

Post by armsys »

StuartR,
Thanks for your kind help. The SEQ Identifier is NOT an issue here.
Still the [Bookmark] usage is missing. In particular, how is [Bookmark] supposed to feature "cross-reference"?
Regards,
Armstrong

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

Armstrong,

In my previous example the words FigureNum and TableNum were bookmarks. They are used internally by Word to keep track of the SEQ fields.

You can also use bookmarks yourself to create cross references to any text within a Word document. This is a completely different usage and would not normally be used with a SEQ field, unless you need to add a reference to the SEQ number somewhere else in the document.

See Add or delete bookmarks for instructions on how to insert bookmarks into a Word document.

See Inserting cross references for instructions on how to insert a cross reference.
StuartR

armsys
2StarLounger

Post by armsys »

StuartR,
I appreciate your laborious efforts to help. Alas, now I realize we are not on the same page. Your interpretation of "bookmark" is incompatible with Microsoft Word's. Both FigureNum and TableNum in your posts are "Identifiers", definitely not "Boookmarks" per se. BTW, both FigureNum and TableNum are not cross-reference-able.
In order to cross-reference, say, Table { SEQ TableNum }, you have to select "Table { SEQ TableNum }" and press Ctrl+Shift+F5 to create a new bookmark.
The "TableNum" inside { SEQ TableNum } is not a bookmark.
That may explain why you were flummoxed by my originating post. Obviously you misinterpreted both [Identifier] and [Bookmark] are the bookmarks.
For example,
{SEQ Exhibit}
{SEQ Exhibit}
{SEQ Exhibit}
{Exhibit} will yield "Error! Bookmark not defined."
Now it proves Exhibit is not a bookmark.

{SET Exhibit 3}
{Exhibit} will display 3. Yes, in this case, Exhibit is a bookmark.

Again, what's the purpose/usage of [Bookmark] in {SEQ Identifier [Bookmark] [Switches]}?
Regards,
Armstrong

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Let's say you have

Item { SEQ aa }
Item {SEQ aa }
Item { SEQ aa }

With field codes turned off, you will see

Item 1
Item 2
Item 3

Now select the middle { SEQ aa }. Select Insert | Bookmark and assign the bookmark name bb to the selection.

Move to another part of the document and insert the field code { SEQ aa bb }. When you hide the field code and update it, you will see 2, i.e. the sequence number of the middle { SEQ aa } field. You have used SEQ aa here, but not to add the next number in the series, which is the default behavior, but to refer to the sequence number of a SEQ field elsewhere in the document, bookmarked as bb. In other words, you have created a cross-reference to that sequence number.

If you insert new numbers using { SEQ aa } or reorganize the document by moving text around, and update the { SEQ aa bb } field, it will display the correct numbering for the SEQ field bookmarked as bb.

Please note that the Reviewing | Cross-reference dialog does *not* let you choose a SEQ field to refer to. You *must* use the bookmark method described here.
(Added later: except for captions; captions are implemented as SEQ fields, and they are listed in the Insert | Cross-reference dialog. Word creates a hidden bookmark when you insert a cross-reference to a caption.)
Best wishes,
Hans

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

Hans,

Thank you for clarifying, I had just finished preparing this example when you posted.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
StuartR

armsys
2StarLounger

Post by armsys »

HanV & StuartR
Both of your elucidations on the [Bookmark] in {SEQ} are the best available on the internet.
Yes, thanks to your crystal clear clarification, now I fully grasp the idea of using [Bookmark] inside the {SEQ} field code.
Both of your samples meticulously show its purpose serving as a cross-reference.
But I don't like it. I still prefer my time-honored way:
{SEQ Exhibit}
{SEQ Exhibit}
[{SEQ Exhibit}] bookmarked this as "Exhibit_Crime_Scene_A"
{SEQ Exhibit}
I would cross-reference as follow:
Exhibit {REF Exhibit_Crime_Scene_A} shows....
The result for the above example should display:
Exhibit 3 shows....

It's far less complicated than { SEQ Identifier [Bookmark] }.
StuartR, thanks for devoting 44 minutes in creating the SEQ Bookmark.docs.
Thanks again for your generous help.
Regards,
Armstrong

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

You're welcome. You should use what is most convenient/comfortable to you, of course.
Best wishes,
Hans