Mail Merge in Word 2010

RonH
SilverLounger

Mail Merge in Word 2010

Post by RonH »

I am trying to create a Mail Merge address list for envelope Labels using my existing Windows Live Mail Contacts list. It seems that the programme wants to use 'Outlook'' but says that I can associate another programme. Can't seem to find a way to do this ... any help please :scratch:

Rather than using WLM for this would it be preferable to create a new address listing using eg Excel and then somehow?? open this list in the Mail Merge feature of Office 2020.
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

HansV
Administrator

Re: Mail Merge in Word 2010

Post by HansV »

Windows Live Mail is not fully MAPI-compliant, and hence it cannot be used for mail merge from Word.

You can export Windows Live Mail contacts to a .csv file:
- Click the Address book icon or click Ctrl+Shift+C.
- Click the Show Menu button, then Export | Comma Separated Values (.CSV)

Word can use the .csv file as data source for the mail merge: in the Mailings tab of the ribbon, click Select Recipients | Use Existing List...
Best wishes,
Hans

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Thanks for tips Hans.
On a slightly different aspect, if I have a .mdb file but do not have 'Access' as part of my Office 2010/Home Student programme, what is the recommended way to open this type of file to permit editing? There are quite a few possibilities mentioned on the web but I respect forum views
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

If you want to edit/view the data: you can download the runtime version of Access 2010 for free from Microsoft: Microsoft Access 2010 Runtime. It can open databases in Access 2000 or 2002-2003 .mdb format and databases in Access 2007-2010 .accdb format.

Alternatively, there are free database viewers with limited editing capability, such as MDB Viewer Plus (this one is portable, i.e. it does not need to be installed - simply run the .exe).
Best wishes,
Hans

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Again thanks Hans ... .csv is definately the easy way
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.