Heading 2 (Word 2007)

Sundog
5StarLounger

Heading 2 (Word 2007)

Post by Sundog »

I'm working on a document using Heading styles, 1., 1.1, etc. Heading 2 had been set to indent 0.69"; I changed its style to indent 0.25" via Paragraph formatting. But it periodically jumps back to 0.69" Upon further examination, that pesky 0.69 seems to be related to the Numbering setting. But when I try to change the Numbering on that style, the Number option pane comes up and says "No numbering". The style Paragraph formatting shows "Left".

How do I get at that 0.69" to change it to 0.25?
Sundog

HansV
Administrator

Re: Heading 2 (Word 2007)

Post by HansV »

Did you change the indent of a Heading 2 paragraph, or did you modify the Heading 2 style definition?
Best wishes,
Hans

Sundog
5StarLounger

Post by Sundog »

The latter.
Sundog

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Hmm... could you attach a copy of the document, with just a couple of dummy paragraphs?
Best wishes,
Hans

Sundog
5StarLounger

Post by Sundog »

I'd like to, but it's difficult. I'm unable to get a screen shot of the ephemeral style display. But from another document that had no style input from me (but maybe from others), for Heading 6, I find the following:

Font: 10 pt, Bold, Indent: Left: 0", Hanging: 0.8", Space Before: 12tp, After: 3 pt, Level 6, Tab stops: 0.8", List tab, Outline numbered + Level: 6 + Numbering Style: 1, 2, 3, ... + Start at: 1 + Alignment: Left + Aligned at: 0" + Tab after: 0.8" + Indent at: 0.8", Style: Quick Style, Based on: Normal, Following style: Normal.

The stuff in bold is not included in Heading 1 through 5 in this other document. I'm at a different computer at the moment, but something akin to the bold stuff is present in my Heading 2 style in my problem document.
Sundog

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Let's hope that one of our Word experts will have a suggestion for you.
Best wishes,
Hans

Sundog
5StarLounger

Post by Sundog »

Here is a Word doc of the Modify Style pane (and others) for Heading 6 in my "other" document.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sundog

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

You said that your headings were "1., 1.1, etc.", but the numbering dialog for this Heading 6 shows that it is not numbered. What does it look like on the page? Does it have a number.

The only place you can reliably set the paragraph indent for a numbered heading is in the numbering dialog box, and the only way to modify this is to modify the settings for all nine heading levels in one single visit to the numbering dialog box. So start with a Heading 1 and while you are in the numbering dialog box set the parameters for all 9 levels.
StuartR

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Thanks, but I'm afraid those screenshots don't provide a clue for me.
Best wishes,
Hans

Sundog
5StarLounger

Post by Sundog »

If I change Heading 6>Modify Style>Style based on, from Normal to Heading 5, the mysterious garbage goes away. This afternoon I will try that on my "problem" document and will report results.

I'd still like to know how to get at that junk, though.
Sundog

Sundog
5StarLounger

Post by Sundog »

Heading 5 didn't have the middle junk. But neither did Normal. So why would changing Normal to Heading 5 change the middle junk?

Word works its wonders in mysterious ways.
Sundog

PamCaswell
StarLounger

Post by PamCaswell »

Although in W2003 we can set up numbering through the modify paragraph style feature, we cannot do that in W2007/10. Instead, you must modify the number settings through the multilevel list dialogs. And you should set indents for numbered headings in the numbering setup instead of (or in addition to the paragraph style itself). It sounds like you haven't created of customized a list in W2007 before, so if you are "revising" a list:
Put the cursor in the first heading 1 in your document and click Multilevel list button > Define new multilevel list. The dialog that comes up is similar to the one in W2003. I am assuming that you have set up lists in W2003 before and will stop here. If you need more help, write back.

Sundog
5StarLounger

Post by Sundog »

Thank you, Pam. Didn't know that "feature" of 2007/2010. Will try that approach today and will report results by Tuesday.
Sundog