Change font size in Document Map

jmt356
SilverLounger

Change font size in Document Map

Post by jmt356 »

I remember a time when I could click in the Document Map, hold down control, and then scroll up or down with my mouse to make the fonts in the document map bigger or smaller, respectively. Now, this only causes zoom in and zoom out of the document. It only works as it used to when I scroll up or down with my touch pad. Therefore, when I'm using a regular computer, I have to go through Styles | Custom and modify the size of the text. It's much more complicated and a hassle, especially when I am constantly opening and closing many documents and want a quicker way to increase the text size. How can I go back to the good old days that I remember?
Regards,

JMT

HansV
Administrator

Re: Change font size in Document Map

Post by HansV »

Good old days? I remember a time when activating Document Map was sufficient to mess up your document because Word would arbitrarily determine that some plain text paragraphs should be headings...

In Word 2010, you have no control whatsoever over the font in the document map - it is hard-coded in the application.
Best wishes,
Hans

PamCaswell
StarLounger

Post by PamCaswell »

There's a style called Document Map. It's probably hidden, but you can get to and modify it from Styles pane > Manage styles > Edit tab.

Pam

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Word 2010 ignores the Document Map style. JMT indicates that he knows about modifying the style, but he finds it too cumbersome.
Best wishes,
Hans

PamCaswell
StarLounger

Post by PamCaswell »

I would have sworn that I had changed that style before. But it certainly didn't change today! Apologies.

Pam

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

Document Map in Word 2003 generally only changes the Outline level of text not assigned a clean Style (e.g., Normal + manual formatting as opposed to Heading 1, Heading 2, Body Text, etc.), and usually only if it is manually centered or made larger. It's natural for Word to assume it's a heading, and it's no big deal to change it back. This small inconvenience is far outweighed by the benefit of seeing a clear map of the document's organization. You always were unnecessarily harsh with Document Map, a very useful tool.

No one knows how to change the font size with the mouse scroller in Word 2003?
Regards,

JMT

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

BTW, does Document Map in Office 2010 also change Outline levels?
Regards,

JMT

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

jmt356 wrote:BTW, does Document Map in Office 2010 also change Outline levels?
No, it doesn't do that any more, as far as I can tell.
Best wishes,
Hans

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

When I first posted this in 2011, I believe I was using Word 2003. Apparently, based on my original post, I was able to change the Document Map style by holding down control and scrolling up with the touch pad of a laptop (not with a mouse) or modifying the Document Map style.

I have attempted both of these techniques (scrolling and modifying the Document Map style) in Word 2010. Neither of them worked.

Is there any other way to increase the size of the Document Map style?

Hans wrote in the second post on this thread "In Word 2010, you have no control whatsoever over the font in the document map - it is hard-coded in the application." Does that still hold true today?
Regards,

JMT

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Yes
Best wishes,
Hans

Charles Kenyon
5StarLounger

Post by Charles Kenyon »

Word 2010 (and later) does not use the Document Map. It uses the (better) Navigation pane.

You can change your screen resolution. On my laptop I often do it by accident on the touchpad.