Return to hyperlinked text (Word 2007)

Sundog
5StarLounger

Return to hyperlinked text (Word 2007)

Post by Sundog »

In Word 2007, I am working on a 222 page document that has multiple internal hyperlinks ("See section above titled Foobar.")

I seem to remember a way for a reader to return to his jumping-off point if he follows a hyperlink. That is, if he clicks Foobar in the above example on page 199, and it jumps to the Foobar section on page 35, how does he easily get back to page 199?
Sundog

StuartR
Administrator

Re: Return to hyperlinked text (Word 2007)

Post by StuartR »

Try Shift-F5
StuartR

Sundog
5StarLounger

Post by Sundog »

It returns me to somewhere, just not where I left. Clicked a link on p.51, correctly got me to the section on p.50, clicked Shift+F5, dumped me out at another destination for a link on p.199.
Sundog

Sundog
5StarLounger

Post by Sundog »

I'm thinking of a toolbar from the past, maybe; didn't the Web toolbar show the current file name, and also had a Back button--which would perform my function?
Sundog

Sundog
5StarLounger

Post by Sundog »

Here's more: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/word- ... 65901.aspx.

Now to find a way so that every viewer of this document adds Back and Forward buttons!
Sundog

Becks
2StarLounger

Post by Becks »

If you have used the Custom UI Editor then you can add the following xml code to your document. It will do all you want and be "attached" to the document. (Your document must be closed and you should use the Custom UI Editor programme) This will add the two buttons to your Home tab after the Paragraph group.

Code: Select all

<customUI xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2006/01/customui">
	<ribbon>
		<tabs>
			<tab idMso="TabHome">
				<group id="customGroup" label="Navigation" insertAfterMso="GroupParagraph">
					<button label="Back" size="large" idMso="WebGoBack" />
					<button label="Forward" size="large" idMso="WebGoForward" />
				</group>
			</tab>
		</tabs>
	</ribbon>
</customUI>
Kevin

Sundog
5StarLounger

Post by Sundog »

Kevin,
Becks wrote:If you have used the Custom UI Editor ...
Excellent lead! :clapping: I have not used the Custom UI Editor; after some poking around, I found the following site that outlines a method that doesn't use the Custom UI Editor: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/ms40604 ... asedAddIns.

Scroll to the To customize the Fluent UI by using Office Open XML Formats files heading, which explains how to do it without the UI Editor. Those steps plus your code worked perfectly in my test Word document (attached). The new buttons traveled with the document via email to a friend, who reported success in their appearance and use.

Other sections on the referenced site have additional information about customizing Office 2007 ribbons.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sundog

Becks
2StarLounger

Post by Becks »

It is worthwhile to look at the Custom UI Editor programme as it handles the placement of the xml code into the Office files (steps 6 to 13 in the linked document). It has support for Office 2010 files and provides stubs that can be modified and will also check the xml code to make sure that it is well formed. (In saying this, the stub provided for 2007 docs had to be modified)

Because the controls I selected idMso="WebGoback" use built-in controls (idMso), they can be added to .docx files as well as .docm files - no extra code is needed to support their use.

Kevin

Sundog
5StarLounger

Post by Sundog »

Becks wrote:It is worthwhile to look at the Custom UI Editor programme ...

Because the controls I selected idMso="WebGoback" use built-in controls (idMso), they can be added to .docx files as well as .docm files - no extra code is needed to support their use.

Kevin
More excellent info; thanks again. I will definitely follow up these ideas at my home-office.
Sundog

Sundog
5StarLounger

Post by Sundog »

Becks wrote:(In saying this, the stub provided for 2007 docs had to be modified.) Kevin
Kevin, did the 2007 stub change affect your Back and Forward button code shown earlier in this thread?
Sundog

Becks
2StarLounger

Post by Becks »

The very first line offered by the stub was incorrect
Was
<customUI xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2009/07/customui">
Should be
<customUI xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2006/01/customui">

Kevin