Repair Word 2003

AlanMiller
BronzeLounger

Repair Word 2003

Post by AlanMiller »

I recently had a secondary HD crash, which affected some XP environment variables. I think I reset all of these to valid values, but Word is unable to save anything. I had deleted all normal.dot files and done a detect & repair on office, but to no avail. Finally I resorted to a reinstall through Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel. Now I don't seems to even have a normal.dot template at all and the problem persists. After being unable to Save, a dialog appears that the Global Template has changed. The only way out is to click NO to saving changes. Any ideas please.

Alan

HansV
Administrator

Re: Repair Word 2003

Post by HansV »

Try this:
- Click Start | Run...
- Type or copy/paste

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office11\Winword.exe" /u

- Press Enter or click OK.
- Repeat but now with

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office11\Winword.exe" /r

- If that does not help, the following steps will reset many of your Word preferences:
- Click Start | Run...
- Type

regedit.exe

- Press Enter or click OK.
- In RegEdit, navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Word and expand this key.
- Select the Data subkey and delete it.
- Select the Options subkey and delete it.
- Close RegEdit.
Best wishes,
Hans

AlanMiller
BronzeLounger

Re: Repair Word 2003

Post by AlanMiller »

Thank you for your usual "rapid response" reply, Hans. I will certainly keep this for future reference. But just like taking the car to the mechanic, things seem to have righted themselves. After innumerable restarts and deletions of normal.dot, I finally received a different error meassage about not being able to write to a temp area. On the next restart, (winword.exe /a) things appeared "normal". I'm still running on :crossfingers: though.

Alan