consecutive numbering of document

Van
2StarLounger

consecutive numbering of document

Post by Van »

Hi All,

I have a survey that I would like to post out to 300 doctors in our region. Each survey needs to have a unique identifier number (ie. 1, 2, 3,....etc.) preferably in the header section. The reason for this is to de-identify the data collected, and to allow the office staff the ability to followup un-returned surveys. Short of numbering each manually, how can I go about this? (our hospital is running Word 2002).

Thank you,

Van

jscher2000
2StarLounger

Re: consecutive numbering of document

Post by jscher2000 »

If you plan to generate the documents one after another from a template, there are some old code examples floating around the web for sequentially numbered invoices that might do the trick.

Van
2StarLounger

Post by Van »

I did have a look at that, but not exactly what i'm wanting.... i think. Each survey is the same. I don't want to generate a new document each time from a template. I'd like to use the survey and when it's printed (say, x 300), then each survey will be numbered. Perhaps printed labels would be a better solution.

jscher2000
2StarLounger

Post by jscher2000 »

Van wrote:I'd like to use the survey and when it's printed (say, x 300), then each survey will be numbered.
I think you could rig a macro to increment a print count (e.g., as a DOCPROPERTY) then print, which should refresh a {DOCPROPERTY} field in the header, then repeat until the count reaches 300. This involves sending a lot more print jobs...but in the end should be more convenient than affixing labels. Not counting the hassle of writing and testing the macro. :grin:

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Another option:

Create an Excel worksheet with the word Number in cell A1 and the numbers 1, 2, ..., 300 in A2, A3 etc. You can generate this easy by means of Fill > Series.
Save the workbook, and use it as the data source for a mail merge based on your document. Insert the Number merge field where you want the number.
Merge the document directly to the printer instead of generating individual documents.
Best wishes,
Hans

Van
2StarLounger

Post by Van »

Thank you both for the help. I will keep both solutions!

Regard,
Van

macropod
4StarLounger

Post by macropod »

Hi Van,

You might be interested in something along the lines of the solution I posted at: http://www.msofficeforums.com/word/5869 ... ing-2.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Paul Edstein
[Fmr MS MVP - Word]