copy para format

Robie
5StarLounger

copy para format

Post by Robie »

Hi

This must be something simple but I can't quite figure it out.

Basically, copy a para from a document (created with template A) to another document (created wiht template B). Source para is Normal and set to *Verdana* font while target para is also Normal but set to *Arial*.
  • 1. Copy from source to target takes the source formatting with it
    2. Insert a space or any character on the first line of the target para and then copy from source to target, takes the target formatting

I don't understand why it should retain the source formatting in once and not in the other. I prefer for it have the target formatting.
copyparaformat.png
Thanks Robie
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

HansV
Administrator

Re: copy para format

Post by HansV »

If no extra formatting has been applied to the source paragraph, it should take on the style characteristics of the target document when pasted.
Try the following:
- Select the paragraph in the source document.
- Press Ctrl+spacebar to reset character formatting to the style definition.
- Copy / paste the paragraph into the new document.
Does it still retain the Verdana font?
Best wishes,
Hans

Robie
5StarLounger

Post by Robie »

HansV wrote:If no extra formatting has been applied to the source paragraph, it should take on the style characteristics of the target document when pasted.
Try the following:
- Select the paragraph in the source document.
- Press Ctrl+spacebar to reset character formatting to the style definition.
- Copy / paste the paragraph into the new document.
Does it still retain the Verdana font?
Yes, exactly the same result :-(.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Which version of Word are you using when this happens?
Best wishes,
Hans

Robie
5StarLounger

Post by Robie »

HansV wrote:Which version of Word are you using when this happens?
Sorry, I should have mentioned it before - 2003.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Word 2003 should match the destination style by default, I don't know why it doesn't for you. But if you display Paste Options buttons, you can decide after pasting:
x122.png
If you don't see the Paste Option button after pasting something, select Tools | Options..., activate the Edit tab and tick the corresponding check box:
x121.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

Robie
5StarLounger

Post by Robie »

HansV wrote:Word 2003 should match the destination style by default, I don't know why it doesn't for you. But if you display Paste Options buttons, you can decide after pasting:
x122.png
If you don't see the Paste Option button after pasting something, select Tools | Options..., activate the Edit tab and tick the corresponding check box:
x121.png
Thank Hans - I will give that one ago.

But, something else I have noticed is that it overwrites the target 'Normal' style with the source formatting. So, from then onwards the Normal syle is Verdana and other characterstics from the source document. That is strange.

Robie
5StarLounger

Post by Robie »

While within the Word options, I found this option (which I don't know anything about). I *disabled* it (just for testing) and now it copies to the target formatting/style. I will find out what its behavour is later.
smart style option.png
EDIT: This from Microsoft:

Smart style behavior Controls style conflicts in a document. Styles are handled consistently when the style in the document you are pasting from has the same name as a style in the document you are pasting to. The Paste options allow you to choose between keeping the formatting and matching the formatting of the destination document.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Smart style behavior is ticked in my Word 2003 yet I don't get the behavior you describe.

Has the Normal style in the target document been set to update automatically?
x123.png
If the Automatically Update check box is ticked, clear it.
Best wishes,
Hans

Robie
5StarLounger

Post by Robie »

HansV wrote:Smart style behavior is ticked in my Word 2003 yet I don't get the behavior you describe.

Has the Normal style in the target document been set to update automatically?
x123.png
If the Automatically Update check box is ticked, clear it.
No. None of my styles are 'automatically updated'. It gets stranger and stranger!

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Try this:

Press the windows key+R to display the Run dialog.
Enter winword /a and press Enter or click OK. This starts Word without loading Normal.dot and add-ons (global templates).
Now try the copy/paste - is the Normal style in the target document still being overwritten with the version from the source document?
Best wishes,
Hans

Robie
5StarLounger

Post by Robie »

HansV wrote:Try this:

Press the windows key+R to display the Run dialog.
Enter winword /a and press Enter or click OK. This starts Word without loading Normal.dot and add-ons (global templates).
Now try the copy/paste - is the Normal style in the target document still being overwritten with the version from the source document?
Yes, the target style is being overwritten from the source! Very strange.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Sorry, I'm stumped, this shouldn't happen. Probably best to learn to live with it - my only other suggestion would be to reinstall the computer from scratch (not just Office)...
Best wishes,
Hans

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

Can you remove any confidential information from your source document and your target document and post them both here, so that we can see if we get the same problem.
StuartR

Robie
5StarLounger

Post by Robie »

StuartR wrote:Can you remove any confidential information from your source document and your target document and post them both here, so that we can see if we get the same problem.
Thanks Stuart. Here goes - target template and source doc attached.

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

Robie wrote:...Thanks Stuart. Here goes - target template and source doc attached.
I am somewhat confused. You have posted target.doc and Target Template.dot, where is the source document?
StuartR

Robie
5StarLounger

Post by Robie »

StuartR wrote:
Robie wrote:...Thanks Stuart. Here goes - target template and source doc attached.
I am somewhat confused. You have posted target.doc and Target Template.dot, where is the source document?
You can just create a new document with the target template.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

But both the target template and the target document use Arial in their Normal style. In your first post, the source document used Verdana and the target document Arial.
Copying an Arial paragraph to an Arial paragraph isn't very illuminating.
Best wishes,
Hans

Robie
5StarLounger

Post by Robie »

HansV wrote:But both the target template and the target document use Arial in their Normal style. In your first post, the source document used Verdana and the target document Arial.
Copying an Arial paragraph to an Arial paragraph isn't very illuminating.
My bad - apologies. In a rush I must have attached a wrong source document :-(.

Here is the actual source document. So sorry.

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

I copied the paragraph starting "Opportunity Crossing..." from source.doc to target.doc and got the following behaviour.
  • If I included the paragraph mark at the end of the paragraph in the copy then the pasted paragraph came in with Verdana font. It also included all of the graphics after the paragraph.
  • If I did not include the paragraph mark in the copy then the pasted paragraph has the Arial font of the target document.
Putting a space at the beginning of the paragraph made no difference.
StuartR