Template not attached to document

Robie
5StarLounger

Template not attached to document

Post by Robie »

Hi

I created a template and saved it as a dot file. Nothing complex - few macros in it plus one available to the user as a toolbar and a menu option.

All looks and works great when I am editing the .DOT file. But, when try to create a new document using the template (double-click), it open the document, get the macro security message (I say enable to it), it creates the new but the template is not attached to it!!!!! I don't understand that. I have other templates which are fine and attached to the document but not this one. No macros in it of course.

Perhaps someone can shed some light in to this.

EDIT: In case Normal.dot was corrupted somehow, I deleted it. I still get the same result.

Thanks.

Robie.

HansV
Administrator

Re: Template not attached to document

Post by HansV »

Are you sure that it is a real template and not a document renamed to a template?
Last edited by HansV on 27 Mar 2011, 12:51, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: to correct typo
Best wishes,
Hans

PamCaswell
StarLounger

Post by PamCaswell »

What version of Word are you using? When you create the new file, is it names Document1?

Pam

Robie
5StarLounger

Post by Robie »

HansV wrote:Are you sure that it is a rea; template and not a document renamed to a template?
What do mean - don't understand? I created the document, added macros and saved as template (.DOT) as I normally do when creating templates.

When I open it as a DOT file then I get macros and the toolbar button displayed. When opened as a document (i.e. create new document) then it displays the macro security message (enable macros, disable macros, More info). I click enable macro and it creates a new document - Document1

Robie
5StarLounger

Post by Robie »

PamCaswell wrote:What version of Word are you using? When you create the new file, is it names Document1?

Pam
Hi Pam - nice to hear from you. Word 2003 and hopefully also 2007. Yes, it names the 'new' document as Document1 - but no macros :-(.

Robie
5StarLounger

Post by Robie »

When I open it as a DOT file then I get macros and the toolbar button displayed.
dotloaded.png
When opened as a document - double-click PST Test.dot, (i.e. create new document) then it displays the macro security message (enable macros, disable macros, More info). I click enable macro and it creates a new document - Document1 but no macro & no 'PST Test.dot' attached.
Document1.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Could you create a copy of the template, remove all content and all macros and attach the copy to a reply?
Best wishes,
Hans

PamCaswell
StarLounger

Post by PamCaswell »

Hi, Robie,

Try running open and repair on your template. If Word finds something to fix, create another new document to see if your problem is gone. If Word finds nothing to fix in the template and if you are sure that the problem is with this template only, redo the template from scratch. BUT...

I notice that the macros list is empty, which means you have no macros in normal.dot and no add-ins with macros loaded. If that is not your situation, you may need to repair (not reinstall) Office. Let us know how things work out.

Pam

Robie
5StarLounger

Post by Robie »

HansV wrote:Could you create a copy of the template, remove all content and all macros and attach the copy to a reply?
Here is the template. BTW: I didn't mention before but at work I am running Windows7 and here at home Windows XP - same result both OS.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

As I suspected, your templates are not real templates, but documents disguised as templates. Why/how? I have no idea.
Try the versions in the attached zip file:
RealTemplates.zip
Best wishes,
Hans

Robie
5StarLounger

Post by Robie »

HansV wrote:As I suspected, your templates are not real templates, but documents disguised as templates. Why/how? I have no idea.
Try the versions in the attached zip file:
RealTemplates.zip
Thanks Hans. I don't really understand between real templates and docs maquerading as templates. BTW: What did you do to fix these 'non-templates'?

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I opened the template, then activated the Save As dialog. Word offered to save the file as a Word 97-2003 document as default:
x560.png
This shows that although the extension is .dot, it is not really a template but a document.
I then selected Word 97-2003 Template (*.dot) as file type, added a 2 after the file name and saved.
Best wishes,
Hans

PamCaswell
StarLounger

Post by PamCaswell »

Wow. You have mentioned this before, Hans, but I always thought it could only happen if someone just changed the extension on the file name. I often create templates from old document and have not seen this problem before, but now I'll now how to fix it.

Thanks,
Pam