How can I get rid of the endnote separator in Word 2003?

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

I read on a few forums to go to the Normal/Draft view, so I could see the endnote separator, but this must be for a different version of Word or for footnotes becuase I can't see the endnote separate in Normal view, but I see it in Print Layout View as a gray line that can't be selected and deleted.
Regards,

JMT

HansV
Administrator

Re: How can I get rid of the endnote separator in Word 2003?

Post by HansV »

While in Normal view, select View | Footnotes.
Then select Endnote separator from the dropdown above the footnote/endnote area.
You can then select and delete the separator.
x117.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

Thank you! Two more questions:

- After I delete the separator, there is still a blank space there I'd like to delete. I tried backspace and delete; it won't go away. Can it?

- When inserting my endnotes, I chose to have them go at teh end of each section rather than at the end of the document. What I really want though is after each section, a section dedicated to just the endnotes within that particular section. However, the way I currently have it configured, the endnotes nad the corresponding text are in the same section. How can I achieve my goal?
I already tried inserting a page break before the first end note in the section, but this didn't work; the endnotes stuck to their position at the end of the section.
Regards,

JMT

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

You could set the font size for the footnote separator to 1 point in order to reduce the space it takes up.

Try inserting a page break at the end of the text of the section; that should push the endnotes to the next page.
Best wishes,
Hans

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

Hans, the first suggest works.

As for the second suggestion, in Word 2003, when I insert a page break before the first end note in the section (just after the end of the text in the section), the endnotes stuck to their position at the end of the section and the cursor and page break jumped to the end of the endnotes.
Regards,

JMT

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Does the attached document (created in Word 2003 SP3) do what you want?
Endnotes.doc
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

That was smart--to use a Next Page "regular" break rather than a Next Page "section" break. That at least gets the endnotes to start on the next page, but it doesn't achieve the same effects of a section break, particularly, to tell Word not to put a header on the first page of a new section (Word puts the header on the endnotes page when only using a page break rather than a section break).

This may be as close to a solution as Word can give me ...
Regards,

JMT

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

You may be able to suppress the header on the last page of a section (the one with the endnotes) by judicious use of an IF field.
Best wishes,
Hans

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

In some of my chapters, the endnotes span more than one page. Thus, a conditional header that suppressed the header on the last page of each section wouldn't work. I would need a conditional header that allowed the header to print to all except for p. 32, 50, 69. Is it possible to program such a conditional header?
Regards,

JMT

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

You'd have to use even more elaborate IF formulas, but you're making things difficult for yourself by going against the grain. This is not the way Word was designed to work.
Best wishes,
Hans

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

So should I go back to your suggestion a few weeks ago to use InDesign for publishing solutions such as this one? And by the way, in case anyone here knows both Word and InDesign, is it diffcult to copy a Word document into InDesign while preserving the formatting so that a user can then finish formatting everything in InDesign (i.e., adding all of the formatting that Word is incapable of) or does the user have to start from scratch in importing all of the formatting in InDesign? How about in MS Publisher?
Regards,

JMT

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I have never seen, let alone used, InDesign.

Microsoft Publisher can import Word documents; text is imported with formatting but not styles, and pictures are lost.
Best wishes,
Hans

Guessed
2StarLounger

Post by Guessed »

I use InDesign (when required) and Word. You will have to do a lot of reformatting in InDesign but the basic paragraph styles will import OK. NOTE: if you chose to do the conversion looking for endnote functionality then you will be disappointed - InDesign doesn't support them. Have a look at this page http://help.adobe.com/en_US/indesign/cs ... 6f37a.html for information on footnotes/endnotes in InDesign.

InDesign will also require you to set up a large number of master pages if you require lots of different header/footer sections. This won't import from Word.

InDesign is a great page layout program but the automation features you are using in Word tend to leave InDesign floundering. Perhaps Framemaker is a better fit for your requirements in general but even it seems a large step backwards in handling Endnotes. Both these Adobe products basically have you type the endnotes as text where you want them to appear (at the end of the document or section) and then get you to place a link in the body where the endnote is referred (see http://help.adobe.com/en_US/FrameMaker/ ... -7f49.html). If you then reorganise the document then you will need to manually reorganise the endnotes too. You could do the exact same thing in Word without using the footnotes/endnotes functionality at all and get the result you are searching for.
Andrew Lockton
Melbourne Australia

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

The solution for endnotes in InDesign ("cross references") seems much more involved in burdensome than the endnotes feature in Word. I'm surprised. Don't most publishers finalize manuscripts in InDesign before sending off to a printer? I would have thought there would hvae been an easier way to use this basic function in what is largely considered to be the leading desktop publishing software.

Can InDesign make a Table of Contents automatically based on Outline levels or Styles (Heading 1, Heading 2, etc.) like Word can? Or does InDesign require that to be done manually?
Regards,

JMT

Guessed
2StarLounger

Post by Guessed »

The last few versions of Indesign have been able to create tocs similar to Word's functionality but features like numbered and bulleted paragraphs are better done with Framemaker.
Andrew Lockton
Melbourne Australia