Workgroup template

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Workgroup template

Post by agibsonsw »

Hello. Word 2007.

If someone creates a template I know that they could store it in the Workgroup Templates location to make it available. But how could they use it to override the users' Normal template?

And where will their workgoup template appear in the File/New dialog please?

If the template is changed, can this effect documents that were based on the template but have already been saved? (Hopefully not.)

One more question - how can a saved Theme be shared within a workgroup?

Thanks, Andy.
"I'm here to save your life. But if I'm going to do that, I'll need total uninanonynymity." Me Myself & Irene.

HansV
Administrator

Re: Workgroup template

Post by HansV »

You're not supposed to override the users' Normal template.

The Templates dialog displays templates from use User Templates folder and Workgroup Templates folder, merged together.

Editing the contents of a template does not affect existing documents based on the template.
Modifying styles in the template does not affect existing documents based on the template except if they have "Automatically update document styles" set.
Editing the VBA code in the template will affect all documents based on the template, for the VBA code is only stored in the template, not in the documents.
Modifying AutoText entries in the template will affect all documents based on the template in the sense that inserting an autotext entry will use the new version.

Themes have to be stored in the Document Themes subfolder of the User Templates folder, I have no idea if it would work in a subfolder of the Workgroup Templates folder - you'd have to experiment.
Best wishes,
Hans

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

Thanks for this explanation.Although do you mean that editing the VBA will affect all 'new' documents based on the template? I was unclear from your statement. Andy.
"I'm here to save your life. But if I'm going to do that, I'll need total uninanonynymity." Me Myself & Irene.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Macros stored in a template are available in all documents based on the template.
Event procedures such as Document_Open in the ThisDocument module of a template will automatically run in all documents based on the template.

If you update the code in the template, all documents based on the template will run the updated version of the code, you don't have to "refresh" anything. This is because the code is not copied into the individual documents - documents use the code from their template.
Best wishes,
Hans

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

Thanks again. Andy.