Issues with programming style shortcuts in Word

jmt356
SilverLounger

Issues with programming style shortcuts in Word

Post by jmt356 »

I have set ctrl + shift + L as a shortcut to List Paragraph. However, ctrl + shift + L does nothing when I press it.

I have also tried on several occasions to set ctrl + shift + P as a shortcut for List Paragraph. It usually works for a day but the next day, Word forgets the shortcut and ctrl + shift + L opens the font dialogue.

How do I get ctrl + shift + L to work or, as an alternative, how do I get ctrl + shift + P to stick?
Regards,

JMT

HansV
Administrator

Re: Issues with programming style shortcuts in Word

Post by HansV »

Have you made sure that changes will be saved in Normal.dotm, and not in the current document?
Best wishes,
Hans

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

I just entered ctrl + shift + P again as a shortcut and added "New documents based on this template" but I want the shortcut to work in all my documents, not just those based on Normal.dotm.

I removed ctrl + shift + L as a shortcut and tried to reenter it. Word won't take it. Why? It currently doesn't do anything in Word. It is supposedly a shortcut for adding a bulleted list according to Google but it doesn't even do that.
Regards,

JMT

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Try File > Options > Customize Ribbon > Customize... (next to Keyboard shortcuts).

The default action of Ctrl+Shift+L is ApplyListBullet:

S2533.png

If it is stored in Normal.dotm, it should work in all documents, since Normal.dotm is always loaded.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

Charles Kenyon
5StarLounger

Post by Charles Kenyon »

See also my article on assigning keyboard shortcuts: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/mso ... 5883735330

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

When I try entering ctrl + shift + L in the Customize Keyboard dialogue, nothing happens. Nothing is entered into the "Press new shortcut key" field when I type that shortcut for ApplyListBullet to even show up as the current assigned shortcut.
Regards,

JMT

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

If you click in the 'Press new shortcut key' box and press Ctrl+Shift+L, and nothing is entered, you either have a keyboard problem, or there is software that has disabled this keystroke...
Best wishes,
Hans

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Hey, does your computer have an AMD processor?
I just learned that Ctrl+Shift+L is the default keyboard shortcut for toggling Performance Logging of an AMD CPU.
Best wishes,
Hans

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

Yes, it is an AMD processor. So each time I press ctrl+shift+l I am toggling Performance Logging? I don't see anything happen when I press that shortcut.
Regards,

JMT

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I don't have an AMD processor myself,so I have no idea. But see AMD ReLive interfering with Ctrl + Shift + [letter] shortcuts in other apps.
Best wishes,
Hans