How to remove underlining from numbering but not from text of subheading

jmt356
SilverLounger

How to remove underlining from numbering but not from text of subheading

Post by jmt356 »

How can I get the text in Heading 3 of my Multilevel outline to be underlined without underlining the numbering?

For example:

1.2.3 Subheading 3

I want "Subheading 3" to be underlined, but not 1.2.3. When I modify the font to be underlined in the style dialogue, both the text and the numbering are underlined. When I try to removing outlining in the Multilevel List dialogue in the Home tab, the underlining of the numbering is removed, but when I select the numbering and press ctrl + spacebar, the underlining returns.
Regards,

JMT

StuartR
Administrator

Re: How to remove underlining from numbering but not from text of subheading

Post by StuartR »

Set the font style for Heading 3 to have the underline style you want
Set the Underline style in the Multilevel lest to be None
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
StuartR

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

As mentioned above, that is what I did. However, when I select the numbers and press ctrl + spacebar, which is the command to remove manual formatting, the underlining beneath the numbers reappears. This is evidence that the modification made in the Multilevel List dialogue is not modifying the style definition but is being manually added. I want the style itself to have the numbers without underline and the text with underline.
Regards,

JMT

Charles Kenyon
5StarLounger

Post by Charles Kenyon »

jmt356 wrote:
14 Aug 2023, 10:28
As mentioned above, that is what I did. However, when I select the numbers and press ctrl + spacebar, which is the command to remove manual formatting, the underlining beneath the numbers reappears. This is evidence that the modification made in the Multilevel List dialogue is not modifying the style definition but is being manually added. I want the style itself to have the numbers without underline and the text with underline.
What is happening is not direct formatting but the application of the paragraph style over the list style.
The numbering format is being supplied by the list style and the text by the paragraph style.
This is a toggle setting so two commands to underline give you no underline.
When you apply the paragraph style linked to the list, you will get a number without underlining and the text with.

Behind the Curtains: Styles' Order of Operation - Jonathan Bailor - blog - six types of styles, how styles relate to one another, document defaults,
http://web.archive.org/web/201201191039 ... eKNSMCxKmv