Styles - save for all documents

FrecklePaw
2StarLounger

Styles - save for all documents

Post by FrecklePaw »

I want to create a new style, but I want it to be accessible in ALL documents I open with Word - how can I do this?
I have created this style but then need to keep creating it each time I want to use it, it doesn't seem to stick so when I open my template, save it, then the style hasn't saved from last time.
I made sure to select 'add to the styles gallery' and 'new documents based on this template' but it won't appear in any other documents I create.
How can I get it to save it so I can use it in any document I open in Word??

HansV
Administrator

Re: Styles - save for all documents

Post by HansV »

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Each Word document is based on a template - either the default template Normal.dotm, or a specific template.

A new document inherits all the styles of the template it was created from. Once the document has been created, the styles are stored in the document. You can add, edit and remove styles in the document without affecting the template, and you can add, edit or remove styles in the template without affecting the document.

There is one exception:
In a document, activate the Developer tab of the ribbon and click Document Template.
In the dialog, tick the check box 'Automatically update document styles'. This will cause the styles in the document to be kept up-to-date with those in its template - you'll see changes to existing styles and newly created styles.

A document cannot see styles available in any other templates than the one it was created from.
So it is not possible to make a style available to all new and existing documents, regardless of the template they were created from.
Best wishes,
Hans

SpeakEasy
4StarLounger

Post by SpeakEasy »

So - create the style

then open the Styles dialog
Select Manage Styles
Click Import/Export
Select the style you in the current Document list and Copy it to Normal.dotm

This doesn't fix your " ALL documents" requirement, as it won't make the new style immediately available in old documents based on an older versions of Normal.dotm

LineLaline
2StarLounger

Post by LineLaline »

SpeakEasy wrote:
14 Nov 2022, 13:52
So - create the style
then open the Styles dialog
Select Manage Styles
Click Import/Export
Select the style you in the current Document list and Copy it to Normal.dotm
Yes, this always works like a charm!
I usually create a set of shortcuts after I install Word, the one I use for the style manager is Ctrl-Alt-s. You can change the keyboard shortcuts via 'File > Options > Customize ribbon'.
At the bottom you will find 'Keyboard Shortcuts' with a 'Customize' button next to it.
I create shortcuts for my styles, too. Beware that if you replace the 'Normal' file you can import the styles, but not their shortcuts 😒😭🤔 This is always a Moment Of Sighs. But maybe I missed something and it can be done after all.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.

Charles Kenyon
5StarLounger

Post by Charles Kenyon »

LineLaline
2StarLounger

Post by LineLaline »

Wow, great! I will try this once I have everything set up. Such useful tools 💖 One plugin really saved documents in case of numbering/header/footer/breaks misery. Thank you, developers!

:cheers:
Ceci n'est pas une signature.

Charles Kenyon
5StarLounger

Post by Charles Kenyon »

You are welcome.