managing text indents while editing text

FrecklePaw
2StarLounger

managing text indents while editing text

Post by FrecklePaw »

Hi, I don't know the proper technical term but I think it's right, so apologies if it's not right in the header if not.

I have some recordings with two people speaking that I use AI to type up. When it comes back it's one long paragraph of text (I know I can amend it in the AI software, but I prefer it this way).

I need to have each new speaker on a new line, i.e.

Speaker 1: Text here blah blah blah

Speaker 2: Text here blah, blah, blah

And then I need to indent the text itself (not the speaker 1, 2 part they stay left aligned against the margin) to like 4 inches in on the ruler. S

But when I'm editing it in word, whenever I take a new paragraph WITHIN one of the speaker's speech 'segments' I need to manually shift the indents to make it all line up to 4 on the ruler (which is fine because then it automatically does this whenever I need a new paragraph again).

BUT when I take a new paragraph for the NEXT SPEAKER and I want the speaker part left aligned, the first line indent has obviously been set to match the left indent at 4 on the ruler, MEANING that when I take a new line for the next speaker and want to have the first line header back to 'zero' (i.e. start of ruler left of page), I have to manually shift the first line indent back again, which is really time-consuming to have to do each time. Is there a way to automate this so that when I take a new line for the other speaker I don't have to continue to move the first line indent back again?

Hope this makes sense! I can send some images over of what I mean.

HansV
Administrator

Re: managing text indents while editing text

Post by HansV »

Does it help if you press Ctr+Q in the new paragraph?
Best wishes,
Hans

Charles Kenyon
5StarLounger

Post by Charles Kenyon »

Make use of Styles. When you create a new paragraph within the middle of an existing paragraph, you will continue the formatting, including the paragraph style from the first paragraph. If you create a new paragraph at the end of the current one, you will follow the setting in the style for the style for the following paragraph.

You can attach keyboard shortcuts to your favorite styles.

Here is my writing on the importance of styles in Word: https://www.addbalance.com/usersguide/s ... m#Overview
Here is my writing on attaching keyboard shortcuts: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/mso ... 5883735330
Last edited by Charles Kenyon on 20 Oct 2022, 17:11, edited 1 time in total.

SpeakEasy
4StarLounger

Post by SpeakEasy »

Have you tried using Styles to reduce the level of manual intervention?

<fx: edit> Ah, Charles' post dropped whilst I was typing mine ...

FrecklePaw
2StarLounger

Post by FrecklePaw »

HansV wrote:
19 Oct 2022, 10:56
Does it help if you press Ctr+Q in the new paragraph?
Hi Hans, yes it does work; however, unfortunately it changes the formatting from my preferred 1.5 line spacing and unjustified text to single spacing and justified text. Is there a way to stop it messing with the formatting?

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

See the reply by Charles Kenyon - create a style with the desired margin/indentation, and set that as the "Style for following paragraph" of the style for the paragraphs with the speaker name.

S1889.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans