Capitals Locked In A Word Document

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Capitals Locked In A Word Document

Post by hlewton »

I just ran into a problem with a Word document. Everything I was typing was being capitalized after I was in the 4th paragraph of the document. I searched the NET and found this:
There are multiple reasons why everything may become capitalized in Microsoft Word:

The Caps Lock button on the keyboard is turned on
One of the Shift keys on the keyboard has physically jammed
A font type has been selected that only has upper case letters
The case settings under the font options on the Home menu have been changed to all uppercase

None of these things were the case for me. I copied and pasted, what I had typed to the point where everything was being capitalized, into a new Word document and everything worked as it should. Any ideas why this happened? Thanks
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Re: Capitals Locked In A Word Document

Post by HansV »

I cannot think of other causes.
Best wishes,
Hans

Charles Kenyon
4StarLounger

Post by Charles Kenyon »

If you can attach a sample document with the problem, it might help.

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Charles Kenyon wrote:
14 Sep 2022, 20:38
If you can attach a sample document with the problem, it might help.
I wish I could but at this time, I don't have any. I deleted the problem document. If it ever happens again I will try to remember to attach it here.

Thank you both for your replies.
Regards,
hlewton

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

hlewton wrote:
14 Sep 2022, 19:50
I just ran into a problem with a Word document. Everything I was typing was being capitalized after I was in the 4th paragraph of the document.

The Caps Lock button on the keyboard is turned on
One of the Shift keys on the keyboard has physically jammed
A font type has been selected that only has upper case letters
The case settings under the font options on the Home menu have been changed to all uppercase[/b]
"NEVER believe anything you read on the web" (Ebenezer Michelmas 1847)

1. The Caps Lock button on the keyboard is turned on
If this were the true cause, then toggling the CapsLock key on your keyboard, with or without a Capslock indicator, should have resolved the issue.
2. One of the Shift keys on the keyboard has physically jammed
(My situation two months ago.) If this were the true cause, then forced upper-case would have taken place in every paragraph, not just the leading four paragraphs.
3. A font type has been selected that only has upper case letters
If this were the case, then a transient Select-All (Ctrl+A) and a clear local formatting (Ctrl+Space) would have permitted future entry of lower-case alphabetic characters.
4. The case settings under the font options on the Home menu have been changed to all uppercase
I don't understand this trick. But it sounds like a MSWord setting, and as such should not be limited to the first four paragraphs.

There are IMHO better ways of poking a document with a sharp stick, including, but not limited to:
(1) Select All, Cut, Paste into Notepad, Select All, Cut, Paste into the MSWord document. Are the first four paragraphs now working correctly?
(2) Ctrl+Home then start typing a new paragraph, or three. Is Upper case forced into the new paragraphs? That is, do you now have the problem with the leading seven paragraphs?
(3) saveAs RTF format, delete the DOC file, saveAs DOC format with the old name.
And more. There are probably twenty different tricks to isolate the source of the problem.
I deleted the problem document.
Not a problem. Just retrieve a copy from your nightly backup. :evilgrin: Or from your *.BAK copy in the local folder. :evilgrin: :evilgrin:

You do have backups activated, right? :grin:

Cheers, Chris
An expensive day out: Wallet and Grimace

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

ChrisGreaves wrote:
15 Sep 2022, 09:49

1. The Caps Lock button on the keyboard is turned on
If this were the true cause, then toggling the CapsLock key on your keyboard, with or without a Capslock indicator, should have resolved the issue.
Did this, to no avail.
ChrisGreaves wrote:
2. One of the Shift keys on the keyboard has physically jammed
Checked this and also no help.
ChrisGreaves wrote:
(My situation two months ago.) If this were the true cause, then forced upper-case would have taken place in every paragraph, not just the leading four paragraphs.
This, in my case, did not start to happen until the beginning of the 4th paragraph.
ChrisGreaves wrote:
3. A font type has been selected that only has upper case letters[/b] If this were the case, then a transient Select-All (Ctrl+A) and a clear local formatting (Ctrl+Space) would have permitted future entry of lower-case alphabetic characters.
My font type was the document's default. I did not change it.

ChrisGreaves wrote:
]4. The case settings under the font options on the Home menu have been changed to all uppercase[/b]

I don't understand this trick. But it sounds like a MSWord setting, and as such should not be limited to the first four paragraphs.
Again, I did not change anything to do with fonts and my problem did not start until I started typing the 4th paragraph. Everything worked as it should until that point.
ChrisGreaves wrote:
There are IMHO better ways of poking a document with a sharp stick, including, but not limited to:
(1) Select All, Cut, Paste into Notepad, Select All, Cut, Paste into the MSWord document. Are the first four paragraphs now working correctly?
I did just this. Only I used copy, not cut. I pasted it into a new Word document and started typing at the beginning of the 4th paragraph and all was well.
ChrisGreaves wrote:
(2) Ctrl+Home then start typing a new paragraph, or three. Is Upper case forced into the new paragraphs? That is, do you now have the problem with the leading seven paragraphs?
I essentially did this only I went back to the end of the 3rd paragraph, which was supposed to have a word capitalized, hit the space bar and made sure as far as I could that the Caps lock was off, typed a few letters and they too were all capitals.
ChrisGreaves wrote:
(3) saveAs RTF format, delete the DOC file, saveAs DOC format with the old name.
And more. There are probably twenty different tricks to isolate the source of the problem.
I did not try this.
I deleted the problem document.
Not a problem. Just retrieve a copy from your nightly backup. :evilgrin: Or from your *.BAK copy in the local folder. :evilgrin: :evilgrin:
ChrisGreaves wrote:
You do have backups activated, right? :grin:

Cheers, Chris
I never saved the document, just deleted it when I got the second one to work. No I don't have backups activated. Actually don't even know how to do that. But any time I make a change or save a new document of any kind, I copy it to external drives and to my other computers. I don't recall ever losing a document I created in any program.

Thanks for your reply.
Regards,
hlewton