Formatting symbols in Word

rjohnson99
NewLounger

Formatting symbols in Word

Post by rjohnson99 »

I have not been able to reply to an answer despite trying multiple times in MS answers - so I will try in this website based on link you provided. Working on a Mac - wish I could figure out why MS answers allows an initial question but won't allow me to submit a reply???

Here is some of my text from what I posted on MS Answers (title Formatting? symbols, posted May 15, 2022), and an attachment with screenshot to show what symbols I'm referring to:
"When I hover over certain areas, especially near headings, an outline of a box with 2 double pointed, crossing arrows appears. However, it disappears when I try to hover directly over it and select it. It seems to signify a section of some kind, as I also see a light grey vertical bar also on the left side extending from the heading, and ending before the next heading. I also see light grey horizontal bars at times, depending on where my pointer is hovering.
Another apparent formatting symbol I can't figure out; a dot at the center of the cursor, touching the right side of the cursor line.
I've done numerous google searches trying to identify what these are and how to get rid of them, to no avail. What do these symbols represent and how do I get rid of them, so I can freely format the resume to my liking?"

Another issue - when l try to create a PDF from the Word doc, instead of taking up the width of the page with normal margins, it squeezes the text into a narrower column. Possibly something to do with the Word doc being set up with tables? Obviously not presentable, yet another problem with Word...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

HansV
Administrator

Re: Formatting symbols in Word

Post by HansV »

Welcome to Eileen's Lounge!

For others: this refers to Formatting? symbols on the Microsoft Community forums.

I have no idea why you cannot reply in the above topic :sorry:

The four-pointed arrow is displayed when you click in a table. You can drag the table to another location by dragging the four-pointed arrow.
The circled + symbol below the four-pointed arrow is displayed when you move the mouse pointer to just left of the table near the upper or lower edge of the row containing the insertion point/selection. Clicking on the + inserts a new row in the table.

S1499.png

In your bottom screenshot, spaces are displayed as a dot. The dot next to the insertion point indicates that that paragraph contains a single space.
To hide the dots:
- Click the Word menu, and select Preferences.
- Click View.
- Under Show Non-Printing Characters, clear the check box Spaces.
See Word for Mac: Viewing Nonprinting Characters for more details.

I don't know why the page layout changes when you save as PDF.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

Charles Kenyon
5StarLounger

Re: Formatting symbols in Word

Post by Charles Kenyon »

Re MS Answers
Are you logged in on that site? The question remains open.
This is a link to your profile on that site: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/pro ... d3a3383466

I've copied your screenshot into that question.
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/mso ... 2c7d0f8247