manually adjust footnote numbering?

FrecklePaw
2StarLounger

manually adjust footnote numbering?

Post by FrecklePaw »

Is there a way to manually adjust the footnote numbering on a document? I have recreated a document from an old copy probably from days before Word and it has footnotes. However... because there is a page missing with a footnote on it, all subsequent footnotes will require to be renumbered to adjust for this, and I couldn't see a way to do this. Is it possible?

HansV
Administrator

Re: manually adjust footnote numbering?

Post by HansV »

One option would be to insert a footnote at the correct place and set the footnote text to "This footnote is missing".
That would renumber all following footnotes.

Another option is to insert a section break where the missing page is.
Below the section break, activate the References tab of the ribbon and click the arrow in the lower right corner of the Footnotes group.
Enter 2 in the 'Start at' box.
Make sure that 'This section' is selected in the 'Apply changes to' drop down.
Finally, click Apply (NOT Insert)

S1291.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

FrecklePaw
2StarLounger

Post by FrecklePaw »

Thanks I'll give this a try!

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

HansV wrote:
13 Apr 2022, 10:05
Enter 2 in the 'Start at' box.
Well! I never!!
I never knew this. All my years with arguing messing about with footnotes, weird requests for footnotes within footnotes etc.
'Start At', eh?
Thank you, Hans.
I have a great deal more to learn about footnotes in Word2003 before moving on to a better version ...

And thank you, Frecklepaw, for asking.

Cheers
Chris
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

Charles Kenyon
5StarLounger

Post by Charles Kenyon »

ChrisGreaves wrote:
13 Apr 2022, 11:48
I have a great deal more to learn about footnotes in Word2003 before moving on to a better version ...

And thank you, Frecklepaw, for asking.

Cheers
Chris
I don't think anyone here has told you that there is exactly a better version than 2003. The docx format is more robust. Do NOT go to Word 2007 which was definitely a step down from 2003. 2003 may not work with Windows 11; I do not know. There are some very nice features in the newer versions, my favorite is Content Controls, especially Mapped Content Controls.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Charles Kenyon wrote:
15 Apr 2022, 04:32
I don't think anyone here has told you that there is exactly a better version than 2003. The docx format is more robust. Do NOT go to Word 2007 which was definitely a step down from 2003. 2003 may not work with Windows 11; I do not know. There are some very nice features in the newer versions, my favorite is Content Controls, especially Mapped Content Controls.
Charles, Thank you, and I feel sure that I know what you mean when you say that, with notable exceptions, versions later than 2003 are better, but in my mind that always raises the question "better than what?", closely followed by "better in what way?".

I am an anomaly in that although I use MSWord as my primary application, I use it mostly as a platform for writing string-processing applications in VBA.
That is, I use Office for its VBA environment.
I do produce and maintain documents - my calendar, my jukebox player, memos and stories and so on, but am no longer "producing documents" in the strict sense of converting and cleansing thousands of Word documents overnight.

I am sure that VBA has been augmented in terms of extra VBA commands to accommodate the extra features of word-processing and number-crunching, but then if I do not need those extra document (and spreadsheet and database ...) features, I don't need the VBA to govern them.

In ten year's time, I feel certain, I will not be using 2003; I have got my money's worth out of it, and an inevitable consequence of changes in the environment means that one day, Word2003 will just stop working, baulking at the latest accumulation of change in its Windows environment.
At that time I shall utter one loud scream, then turn to Eileen's Lounge and upgrade my Windows and Office environments simultaneously, wailing the while, and try to establish a new programming platform that will last me another twenty years!

As a sidebar, I have been intrigued, over the years, to find how many of the keyboard commands of Office97 function consistently on other people's systems, obviating the need for this new-fangled ribbon.
Cheers, Chris

P.S. I tried both the 2007 and the 2010 versions of Office when they arrived, as a user and as a developer, and ran four blogs on them. In the end I saw nothing in either of them that made a significant impact on my work! C
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

Charles Kenyon
5StarLounger

Post by Charles Kenyon »

vba, at the level I use it, has changed very little since Word 2003. Yes, there are new collections,notably the Content Controls collection but many of the "improvements" are not reflected in vba. The editor is unchanged.