add text to a 'Table of Figures' (that lists tables)

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

add text to a 'Table of Figures' (that lists tables)

Post by stuck »

I have a TOC field, inserted via the 'Insert Table of Figures' feature, that lists the tables in my report
{ TOC \c "Table" }
it gives me this sort of layout:
Table1: tab, caption text, right justified tab, page num.
Table2: tab, caption text, right justified tab, page num.
Table3: tab, caption text, right justified tab, page num.

I now need to get an additional table to appear in the TOC as 'Table 1a', i.e. I want my TOC to appear as:
Table1: tab, caption text, right justified tab, page num.
Table1a: tab, caption text, right justified tab, page num.
Table2: tab, caption text, right justified tab, page num.
Table3: tab, caption text, right justified tab, page num.

As yet I've not been able to do this. I've tried the 'Add text' feature that's in the ToC section of the References tab on the Ribbon but that makes the text I want appear in the main TOC (which is a separate field, above my Tables TOC). I've tried styling the required text a a Caption and setting it at a suitable Outline level but again that makes the text appear as part of the main TOC.

So, other than manually typing in the required line and then NOT updating the table ever again, any suggestions as to how I might achieve the effect I want?

Thanks,

Ken

StuartR
Administrator

Re: add text to a 'Table of Figures' (that lists tables)

Post by StuartR »

How have you labelled the table in the main document? Have you manually added the a somehow, or do you have a table numbering style that includes 1a?
StuartR

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

StuartR wrote:How have you labelled the table in the main document? Have you manually added the a somehow, or do you have a table numbering style that includes 1a?
As recieved from my colleague, Table 1a was just simple text. However, no matter how I tried to convert it to a properly numbered and styled caption, I couldn't get the TOC to find it , or if a TOC did find it appeared in the separate TOC that lists the headings in the main body of the report. I couldn't get it to appear the the TOC that lists all the tables at all, let alone make it appear after Table 1 and before Table 2.

In the end I maunally split the relevsnt TOC and typed in the required text and page number. As long as we don't update that TOC that text will stay there. This is OK because the report that's going to the customer is in PDF format, so the fianl TOC can't be accidently updated.

Ken

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

I think you can achieve what you want by resetting the Table field code to 1 in table 1a and adding the a manually.

Here is a screenshot of how I did this
Table field codes displayed.png
And here is how it looks
Table field codes.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
StuartR

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Yes, I can see that might work. I'll try it out on Monday, or maybe Tuesday, or even Wednesday. I have to finish proof reading a 202 page report first. If I was in the office I'd kill a few trees and print out a copy. I'd then work through it with with red and blue pens, crossing and ticking as I go while referring to source data on my generous three monitor setup. Working sat home though with no hard copy and much less screen space... :hairout: :crazy:

Ken