Sundog
5StarLounger

Style with mixed fonts

Post by Sundog »

In Word 2007, I would like to create a Style that looks like this:

Word1     Definition of Word1, which could go on and on
     until it overflows onto a second line.<para, hanging 1.5">
Word2    Definition of Word2.<para, hanging 1.5">
Etc. (hanging 1.5" doesn't reproduce as it should, but you get the idea)

When I Format Paint a line that looks like that, and apply the Paintbrush to another line, the line becomes all italics; not what I want.

Is what I'm after possible in Word? Or does the entire paragraph of a certain style have to be the same font?
Sundog

HansV
Administrator

Re: Style with mixed fonts

Post by HansV »

You can't have one style with multiple fonts, so what you want will always take two steps: one to format the paragraph as a whole, and another to format the first word.

You could select one such definition and save it as a Quick Part (Insert tab of the ribbon, Quick Parts, Save selection to Quick Part Gallery).
From then on, you can insert it by clicking on Quick Parts. You then have the desired format and only have to modify the text.

Or you could create a macro that formats the text the way you want, and assign it to the Quick Access Toolbar.
Best wishes,
Hans

Sundog
5StarLounger

Post by Sundog »

Thanks, Hans, I was afraid you would say that.

I've found if I have an inherited paragraph that looks like this:
    The italic word output provides a more intuitive approach.<para>
If I click somewhere in the middle of this paragraph, its style shows as Normal. If I then apply a style of Body Text (the same as Normal but adds 6 pts after) without moving the cursor, the italic word remains in italics, 6 pts are added after, and the style now shows as Body Text.

However, this approach doesn't work with the Word2      Definition of Word2.<para, hanging 1.5"> paragraphs. Why?
Sundog

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Applyimg a paragraph style will overwrite the paragraph settings (such as margins and indent) of the selected paragraph with that of the style, while character formatting (such as italic) applied to part of the paragraph will be preserved if it takes up less than half the paragraph.
Best wishes,
Hans

Sundog
5StarLounger

Post by Sundog »

HansV wrote:Applying a paragraph style will overwrite the paragraph settings (such as margins and indent) of the selected paragraph with that of the style, while character formatting (such as italic) applied to part of the paragraph will be preserved if it takes up less than half the paragraph.
Yes, well, but: Word2    Definition of Word2.<para, hanging 1.5"> has italic applied to far less than half the paragraph, but your statement doesn't hold true. Does it have something to do with the italic word leading the paragraph?
Sundog

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

In the screenshot below, I created two identical copies of the same paragraph. The first word is italic, red and 20 points.
I then applied another style (Heading 2 in this example) to the second paragraph. As you can see, the hanging indent disappeared because Heading 2 doesn't have a hanging indent. But the first word remained italic, red and 20 points, although it did take on the font (Cambria) and bold setting of the Heading 2 style...
x315.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

Sundog
5StarLounger

Post by Sundog »

I see what you did; what I don't quite understand is how to apply this technique in my case. Attached is a short Word doc showing my situation.
Styled as DefList.docx
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sundog

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

One problem is that there are 3 (three) tab characters between "Source" and "Defines data source".
If I apply the DefList style to the Source paragraph, the word "Source" remains italic, but, the text "Defines data source" is indented too far because of the extra tab characters:
x316.png
If I remove two of the tab characters, the indent becomes correct:
x317.png
You'll have to adjust each paragraph this way. The number of tab characters that you'll have to remove will vary.
Best wishes,
Hans

Sundog
5StarLounger

Post by Sundog »

I understand about the tabs (inherited stuff).

I have found the following:
If I use the format painter, I get the results explained in my first post. That is, if I double-click to select a whole "good" paragraph, click the Paintbrush, and swipe the inherited stuff with the Format Painter, everything in the inherited stuff turns to italics.

If I click in the inherited stuff PAST THE ITALICIZED FIRST WORD and pick DefList from the Styles panel, Viola! I get your results.

If I now click in the first (italicized) word of the (changed) inherited stuff, it shows a Style of DefList+Italic. Two styles? in the same paragraph?

Anyway, from now on I'll use this new method.
Sundog

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Instead of using the Format Painter, you can simply apply the style. That is what I did, and then it doesn't matter whether you click in the italicized keyword or in the description.

If you click the arrow in the lower right corner of the Styles section of the Home tab of the ribbon, then click Options, you get some check boxes to specify how styles are displayed.
x318.png
If you tick the check box "Font formatting", direct font formatting will be displayed as if it were a style:
x319.png
Best wishes,
Hans

Sundog
5StarLounger

Post by Sundog »

Good stuff. Didn't know that. Thanks!
Sundog