Corrupt File

BOOBALAN.V
5StarLounger

Corrupt File

Post by BOOBALAN.V »

Dear Community,

I having a corrupted file. When I try to open that file it asking to choose encoding type as shown in picture. I try to reproduce the error. So I create dummy word document. Make a copy of that file. Then I opened copied file in notepad and save as---> All files---> Unicode Type---->Unicode----> File name---->I am going to corrupt this file - Copy.docx. Now if I tried to open that file word couldn't open. If change that file type .docx to .doc then it asking to choose Unicode character. My question is as follows.
1) If open original document in notepad it shows random characters and symbols.
2) The exact same characters showed in copied file and saved as .docx with changing the Unicode character. But why its not opening. if I want to open in word document how to change Unicode character?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

HansV
Administrator

Re: Corrupt File

Post by HansV »

I don't think you'll be able to do anything with this file. It is not a real Word document.
Best wishes,
Hans

BOOBALAN.V
5StarLounger

Post by BOOBALAN.V »

Thanks for your kind reply sir. I just open word document in notepad and saved as .docx file again. I done this for recreate the problem means corrupt the file. can we again make this unreadable characters into readable characters? Because if we open healthy word file in notepad it shows the exact unreadable characters. Isn't? That is my question sir.

can we make unreadable this characters (Unicode characters to word document) into readable characters?

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I don't think so.
Best wishes,
Hans

BOOBALAN.V
5StarLounger

Post by BOOBALAN.V »

:xsad: Advance Christmas sir :xgrin:

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Thank you! :xgrin:
Best wishes,
Hans

macropod
4StarLounger

Post by macropod »

The first two characters show that I am going to corrupt this file - Copy1.doc is in the zip archive format used by docx & docm files. If you change the extension of a Word document from docx to docm or vice-versa, or simply to .doc (which is what you appear to have done with I am going to corrupt this file - Copy1.doc), Word won't be able to open it.

Evidently, in addition to giving the file I am going to corrupt this file - Copy1.doc) an invalid extension, you've done something else to corrupt its contents - as neither WinZip nor DiskInternals ZIP Repair can access its contents.

Word quite happily opens I am going to corrupt this file.docx on my system.
Paul Edstein
[Fmr MS MVP - Word]