Word2003 - opening a DOT template file

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Word2003 - opening a DOT template file

Post by ChrisGreaves »

(1) In File Explorer I double-click or tap <Enter> on a template file and Word loads itself and creates New Document based on the template. I close that new document.
(2) In File Explorer I right-click and choose “Open With” (then Microsoft Word) and Word creates New Document based on the template. I close that new document.
(3) From within a File Explorer pane I drag the template onto the Word2003 pane and to my great delight, Word actually opens the template as a template, so that I can do some work on it.

I very rarely create a new document based on a template. I am not a text-typist creating documents as memos.
When I write. I usually am in an existing document and use a rather clever saveAs mechanism to create a clone of the original document.
Most of my work/play is developing and maintaining applications in VBA and hence in DOT templates.
And yes, I know that all my applications now can be DOCuments.

I think that apart from issuing a File Open command from within MSWord, the only other way to open a template is by the drag-from-Explorer method.

But then, I just know that I am about to be proved wrong (grin)
Cheers
Chris
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

HansV
Administrator

Re: Word2003 - opening a DOT template file

Post by HansV »

Right-click the template in Windows Explorer/File Explorer.
Select Open from the context menu instead of the default New.
S2956.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

HansV wrote:Right-click the template in Windows Explorer/File Explorer. Select Open from the context menu instead of the default New.
Thanks, Hans. It's good to see that I was correct. I was proved wrong!
Cheers
Chris, on his way home wondering, again, "Why didn't I think of that?"

Charles Kenyon
5StarLounger

Post by Charles Kenyon »

ChrisGreaves wrote: ***
I very rarely create a new document based on a template. I am not a text-typist creating documents as memos.
When I write. I usually am in an existing document and use a rather clever saveAs mechanism to create a clone of the original document.
Most of my work/play is developing and maintaining applications in VBA and hence in DOT templates.
And yes, I know that all my applications now can be DOCuments.
Cheers
Chris
On a side note, .doc files, .docm files, and .dotm files can all hold macros.
If you are doing Add-Ins, yes, they need to be templates.

After all this time, it might be time to bite the bullet and move to the ribbonx files. Building blocks can be a lot of fun.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Charles Kenyon wrote:After all this time, it might be time to bite the bullet and move to the ribbonx files. Building blocks can be a lot of fun.
I looked at The Ribbon back in 2007 and again in 2010 and disliked it intensely.
Ribbons take up far too much real-estate and cater to the wimpy crowd who have superglued their hand/finger to the mouse.

As I recall, the argument behind the Ribbon was that people had far too many toolbars taking up space, but in 20 years of helping people at their desks, all I saw were the Standard and the Formatting toolbars.

And if there wasn't a button to do what you wanted, well, that meant that what you wanted to do just couldn't be done

Cheers
Chris