When next I design a word processor ....

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

When next I design a word processor ....

Post by ChrisGreaves »

CreateBookmark.png
When next I design a word processor (or any application for that matter) I will offer a command button on the Insert, Bookmark dialog box which (button) offers a free service – to strip the offered bookmark text of all offending characters without making the user guess what has to be removed, or worse, making the user back out of the dialog box and load the Help screens.

If I am having a good day I might extend this facility to the File, saveAs dialog boxes.

Suggestions welcomed.

(signed) “having a bad day” of Bonavista
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
An expensive day out: Wallet and Grimace

Rudi
gamma jay

Re: When next I design a word processor ....

Post by Rudi »

Not to rain on your parade Chris, but it might be less fuss and stress to simply provide a validation popup message on the Add button that reads this:

"Bookmark names need to begin with a letter. They can include both numbers and letters, but not spaces."
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Rudi wrote:"Bookmark names need to begin with a letter. They can include both numbers and letters, but not spaces."
Hi Rudi; what you say is true, but it is not really a solution to the problem.
The pop-up message is only an abbreviated version of what I should be able to find in the Help files.

Computers are good at doing Boring And Repetitive Tasks.

(Some would say that's all they're good for; still others would say that they're not very good at that, but that is always the fault of the programmer/designer).

The machine knows what has to be done (strip spaces, punctuation etc) according to the dialog box; it ought to be able to correct it with a simple click/keyboard by the user.

Google does it: "Did you mean 'Eyore's Lounge?'

Cheers
Chris

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Retired programmers obviously have more time for these finer details.

P(r)eaches. :grin:
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

ChrisGreaves wrote:The machine knows what has to be done (strip spaces, punctuation etc) according to the dialog box; it ought to be able to correct it with a simple click/keyboard by the user.

Google does it: "Did you mean 'Eyore's Lounge?'
Reminds me of Eddie Izzard, on the topic of computers in Glorious, when trying to print and it doesn't work: It is as if the computer is going: 'I'm not sure what you're trying to do'. Trying to print!

:laugh: It knows, but won't help you.
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Rudi wrote:Retired programmers obviously have more time for these finer details.
There's more truth in this than might first appear.
In a way, now that I am retired I can focus on what I have been doing Lo! these past years.
My mind picks up these annoying boring and repetitive tasks that should be being done by computers.
My whole motive way back when arose when I discovered that computers could calculate determinants of a matrix in seconds, rather than the hours it once took me.

"determinants" FWIW involved a series of trivial multiplications of simple constants - 2*3, 7*-11, 4*5.
I was reduced in my fourth year of mathematics at University to hours of arithmetic that I had been doing in primary school when I was seven, or maybe eight years old.

Today I am reduced to backspacing out spaces and hyphens when the computer could do it in milliseconds, a Programming_101 exercise in any language.

Cheers
Chris

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Argus wrote:It knows, but won't help you.
Absolutely! :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:
Cheers
Chris

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Argus wrote:Reminds me of Eddie Izzard, on the topic of computers in Glorious,
There's an ON switch on the printer?!!???!!!!
:clapping: :laugh: :rofl: :clapping: :laugh: :rofl: :clapping: :laugh: :rofl: :clapping: :laugh: :rofl: :clapping: :laugh: :rofl:

Cheers
Chris