keyboard shortcut

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

keyboard shortcut

Post by Dave Davison »

For a sheer - two fingers convenience shortcut - for "File Close or Exit" along with that of the default Alt+F4 I selected Alt+C which works fine for closing Word doc but has no effect on anything else that's open, can any other two close by key combination be assigned to this action please? :scratch: :thankyou:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Charles Kenyon
5StarLounger

Re: keyboard shortcut

Post by Charles Kenyon »

Do you know of Ctrl+W which is pretty universal to close the current window/document but does not close the application?

I try to avoid assigning Alt key shortcuts just beause of the tendency to pop up all the various tooltips with the Alt key.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

The Customize Keyboard dialog is for Word only. Anything you assign there works in Word, but not in any other application (unless it happens to be an existing keyboard shortcut in that other application of course).
Best wishes,
Hans

Charles Kenyon
5StarLounger

Post by Charles Kenyon »

If you are using the 32-bit version of Word, keyboard shortcuts can be transferred from one template or document to another using a routine written by Chris Woodman. His site has been down for a long time. You can find a link to the original work as well as a modification to put it on the Ribbon here.
http://addbalance.com/word/download.htm#ChrisWoodman

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

Thanks, understood Hans; Charles, I'm using the 64 bit version of WORD. Regards dave.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Dave Davison wrote:..., can any other two close by key combination be assigned to this action please? :scratch: :thankyou:
Arguably on-topic:-
For years I told students in computing classes to wean themselves off the mouse by buying a tube of super-glue on the way back to the office and super-glueing their little finger, left hand, to the Ctrl-key.

My theory was that they could then accomplish 90+% of their tasks (other than data-entry) with their left hand and do something else with their right hand.
Just to get you started:-
Ctrl-Z
Ctrl-X
Ctrl-C
Ctrl-V
Ctrl-B
Ctrl-A
Ctrl-S

etc etc etc

Cheers
Chris
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

Thanks BUT how does this info relate to my question as I already know the purpose of each combo you suggest e.g. Ctrl-S = save / Ctrl-V = paste. Thanks Dave.

Charles Kenyon
5StarLounger

Post by Charles Kenyon »

If you want your keyboard shortcuts to be long-lasting, I recommend storing them in a template other than the normal template and loading that template as a global template by putting it in the Word Startup folder.

This is more trouble because you have to have your global template open in Word (not just "loaded") to be able to add the shortcut. The advantage is that the Normal template is subject to Microsoft vagaries as well as third-party software glitches that do not seem to reach separate templates. It survives changes in Word versions. I have templates with keyboard shortcuts that I created in 2000 that still work fine as Add-Ins.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Dave Davison wrote:Thanks BUT how does this info relate to my question as I already know the purpose of each combo you suggest e.g. Ctrl-S = save / Ctrl-V = paste. Thanks Dave.
Hi Dave.
I am aware that you know shortcuts.
I thought to file the left-lower keyboard layout scheme as a contribution for those who stumble on this thread under "shortcuts".
These are all two-finger shortcuts, but additionally are localised in one area of the keyboard.
Cheers
Chris
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

Understood..................thanks Dave.