Opening PDF Files in Word

BobH
UraniumLounger

Opening PDF Files in Word

Post by BobH »

Is there a way to open PDF documents in Word as PDF docs without converting them to doc or docx formats? When I open them they give me the option of converting or nor but choosing not to convert means the files do not open.

What am I missing? Surely Microsoft allows Word to deal with PDF as well as its own format ? ? ? ? ? ?

:cheers: :chocciebar: :thankyou:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

Charles Kenyon
5StarLounger

Re: Opening PDF Files in Word

Post by Charles Kenyon »

No, it does not surely allow opening pdf documents in non-edit mode.

The only reason to open a pdf in Word is to make changes and you are not going to be happy with the conversion for many pdf files.

There are numerous free pdf viewers available including Acrobat Reader.

What is it you are seeking to accomplish by doing this? Perhaps someone can help you accomplish that goal even if not using this method.

Adobe Acrobat 8 is still available for free download. It is old software but runs on Windows 10 and is useful.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Thank you, Charles.

I'm a bit surprised that Word doesn't deal with PDF files.

:cheers:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

A PDF file is basically a representation of a printed document. Depending on how the PDF file has been created, it may be possible to re-create some or most of the original document, but to do that, Word has to convert it to a Word document.
Best wishes,
Hans

Charles Kenyon
5StarLounger

Post by Charles Kenyon »

perplex.jpg
BobH wrote:Thank you, Charles.

I'm a bit surprised that Word doesn't deal with PDF files.

:cheers:
One of my mentors, Bob Buckland, was known to say that:
perplex.jpg

A pdf is intended as a print substitute, not as a component of other files. Adobe Acrobat gives the ability to combine disparate types of files although it is not a substitute for Word. It is a different program.
Basic Concepts of Microsoft Word by Shauna Kelly
http://www.addbalance.com/usersguide/Ba ... tsWord.htm
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

I love that statement and warn you now that I will use it, and if senility doesn't prevent it give you mentor credit due!

Thanks again, Charles.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

kdock
5StarLounger

Post by kdock »

Hey Bob,

Remember that PDF stands for Portable Document Format. It was originally intended to make it possible to transport a document to another computer/office/company that might or might not have the word processing program you used to create your document, and then print it to any printer (sometimes with mixed results...) with a small, portable program. And the other features of Acrobat allow passwording, no copying, even no printing (!), etc.

It used to be that a PDF was just like a document on paper and if you had to edit it, you had to retype it. I remember that glorious day WordPerfect added the ability to Print to PDF on its own. Then Word followed suit. Then they both added the ability to import a PDF so you didn't have to retype it. That was heaven ... as soon as you stripped all the wonky formatting away, much as you have to when you scan a heavily formatted document to Word or WordPerfect.

Ain't technology something? :laugh: Kim
"Hmm. What does this button do?" Said everyone before being ejected from a car, blown up, or deleting all the data from the mainframe.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Thanks to all who responded. I'm dealing with about 100 pages in 8 or 9 different documents all produced by an attorney regarding estates, trusts, etc. i go them in PDF. I was hoping that I could edit them directly without conversion for changes before returning them to the attorney.

Oh well, at least Word will convert them; so I can make any changes deemed necessary.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

kdock
5StarLounger

Post by kdock »

Bob, having worked in and with law firms longer than I admit to being alive, I can tell you that unless they asked you to make the edits yourself, it might be better for you to mark it up by hand. Yes, they can redline, or you could work with track changes turned on, but the Estate Planning Department in most firms (even sole practitioners) usually have workflows that are very efficient and therefore cost-effective for both attorney and client. They might even have prohibitions in their firm that keep them from easily accepting an "outside" document.

Most firms take care not to send editable files so you won't edit it yourself (and possibly steal their work product--attorneys have certainly seen that happen). The fact that they sent you a PDF, previously described as a for-your-review type document, is a sign of that.

OR, they didn't know you were tech-savvy, and familiar with Word. They really might not care. Have you asked them for the documents in Word format? :innocent:

Best, Kim
"Hmm. What does this button do?" Said everyone before being ejected from a car, blown up, or deleting all the data from the mainframe.

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

I agree with kdock,
The law office most likely does NOT want you to edit it.
Some are even pass worded so you can not and not even be able to convert them to any editor.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living