Content search across Multiple Word documents

rgrosz78
Lounger

Content search across Multiple Word documents

Post by rgrosz78 »

My friend has about 15,000 Word documents which are recipe files. She wants to be able to locate all the files which contain a set of ingredients. For example: tomatoes, capers, chicken.

She is using MS Office 2003 and Windows 7. For the past two years, she used a piece of software called Everything, but it is designed to locate files by name. For content, she can search on only two words - it can not handle three or more. On her computer, it takes about 2 minutes to search through all 15,000 files.

I hope someone knows of some search software that could solve her problem. Hopefully it is not too expensive <grin>
Rick Groszkiewicz
Life is too short to drink bad wine (or bad coffee!)

Rudi
gamma jay

Re: Content search across Multiple Word documents

Post by Rudi »

I use Everything for all my file searching and basic searches containing a word; BUT when it comes to searching specific words or strings or word combinations in files, I have found no better application than DocFetcher, a free and very powerful and easy to use app. :thumbup:
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

rgrosz78
Lounger

Post by rgrosz78 »

Thanks for the suggestion, I will give it a try. I won't get to set up her PC with this program for at least a week.
Rick Groszkiewicz

rgrosz78
Lounger

Post by rgrosz78 »

I realized that I had an old collection of those Word documents on my laptop, as a result of a prior project. I went ahead and installed DocFetcher, and it seems to give the desired results. This software is NOT perfect, but it basically does what we want.
Rick Groszkiewicz