What's Happening Here? Word 2010 and Track Changes

kdock
5StarLounger

What's Happening Here? Word 2010 and Track Changes

Post by kdock »

A client sent me a document based on one of my templates that has suddenly begun showing markup. Apparently, it's the template, and the new document has inherited something from the template.

But this template, to the best of my knowledge, has never had Track Changes turned on in it. When one creates a document from it, Track Changes is not turned on, and it remains that way.

However, when one makes a change, markup appears. And when I look on the Review Tab, Tracking Group, the setting for Display for Review is set to "Final: Show Markup". Again, to the best of my memory, I've not changed this setting. Furthermore, it's set that way on a brand new document not using this template (i.e. my Normal template). I have changed it in my Normal template, but it would have taken a lot for me to deliberately set Display for Review in my Normal template. I believe I would have remembered doing that. AND, I did not base this template on my Normal template.

If this is truly a display setting, why is it saved with the document/the template? Surely this is a user-by-user preference--especially when Track Changes is not turned on? And why is it even accumulating changes when Track Changes isn't turned on?

I rarely if ever use Track Changes, let alone in a template. I have used document compare.

When the client edits their document, the info about the changed text reflects that I did it. I can run a macro that sets the document to "Final" but why has this just started happening?

Any thoughts? Any helpful lessons about Track Changes? Thank you!!

Best, Kim :bananas:
"Hmm. What does this button do?" Said everyone before being ejected from a car, blown up, or deleting all the data from the mainframe.

kdock
5StarLounger

Re: What's Happening Here? Word 2010 and Track Changes

Post by kdock »

Well, I can see either this issue, or my description thereof is not just puzzling me.

However, after some poking about, this seems to be an issue just with this template. When I run others of my templates for the same client, I do not see any markup after editing the resulting document.

So I'll fix by recreating the template anew, as there doesn't seem to be anything I can do to the misbehaving template to dampen its desire to show me what I've changed.

I'm still befuddled by the behavior and what triggered it, but that could be lost to antiquity. If I have some time, I'll unzip a copy of the template to see if there's any identifiable nonsense lurking therein.

Just wanted to report back.

Best, Kim
"Hmm. What does this button do?" Said everyone before being ejected from a car, blown up, or deleting all the data from the mainframe.

HansV
Administrator

Re: What's Happening Here? Word 2010 and Track Changes

Post by HansV »

Thanks, I was stumped by the problem.
Best wishes,
Hans