Copy content without headers/footers from doc A to B

Robie
5StarLounger

Copy content without headers/footers from doc A to B

Post by Robie »

Hi

We have a change in templates with the takeover of our company. We now need to convert existing documents into the new company documents.

Doc A: Original document (sections)
Section 1. Front Cover
Section 2. Change History
Section 3. TOC
Section(s) 4 to (n-1). onwards: Data content (with mixture of portrait and landscape sections)
Section n: Back cover

Doc B: New company document (as a template):
Section 1. Front Cover
Section 2. Page 2 (Copyright notice), Page 3 (TOC), Page 4 (data content), ....
Section 3, (Optional) Appendix section (if there are any Appendices in the original document (doc A) otherwise no Appendix section)
Section n. Back cover

When converted, the new document must *only* contain data content and *not carry forward* front cover, back cover and headers & footers.

If someone can start me on a VBA then I can carry it forward from there. How do I copy just contents from doc A to doc B?

Thanks.
Robie

HansV
Administrator

Re: Copy content without headers/footers from doc A to B

Post by HansV »

That won't be easy - to keep the page orientation (portrait/landscape) of the data content sections, you need to transfer the page setup, but that includes headers and footers...
It also means that it won't be possible to have all the data content in section 2, for a section can have only one page orientation...
I'd go back to management and ask if it is really necessary to do this. If they decide it is, they should relax the requirements.
Best wishes,
Hans

Robie
5StarLounger

Post by Robie »

HansV wrote:That won't be easy - to keep the page orientation (portrait/landscape) of the data content sections, you need to transfer the page setup, but that includes headers and footers...
It also means that it won't be possible to have all the data content in section 2, for a section can have only one page orientation...
I'd go back to management and ask if it is really necessary to do this. If they decide it is, they should relax the requirements.
Right. Thank you Hans. I will go back & get further changes.
Thank you once again.

macropod
4StarLounger

Post by macropod »

It appears the simplest way of handling this would be to open the existing documents, attach the new template, replace the existing front & back matter with the new front & back matter, then make whatever header/footer updates are required, before saving with a new name. That way, the 'data content' can largely be left as is. The only other issue is the appendices, but you don't say how those are handled or identified in the existing setup.
Paul Edstein
[Fmr MS MVP - Word]

Robie
5StarLounger

Post by Robie »

macropod wrote:It appears the simplest way of handling this would be to open the existing documents, attach the new template, replace the existing front & back matter with the new front & back matter, then make whatever header/footer updates are required, before saving with a new name. That way, the 'data content' can largely be left as is. The only other issue is the appendices, but you don't say how those are handled or identified in the existing setup.
Um. Interesting idea Paul. Perhaps, this option requires further thought.

Thanks.