Footer page number problem

Peter Kinross
5StarLounger

Footer page number problem

Post by Peter Kinross »

Page numbers in footer reverts to Page 2 of 105 when it should be Page 99 of 105.
'Link to Previous' is turned on. In format page numbers 'Continue from previous' is selected, yet numbering recommences at Page 2.
'Different First Page' is shown as ticked up to page 40, but from then on 'Different First Page' is not ticked (so why does page numbering recommences at page 2 instead of page 1).
The index is also messed up, it uses the incorrect page numbers.
If I tick DFP on page 41 the footers disappear from the whole doc.
I can temporarily fix it all by manually selecting 'Start page numbering' at 99. But next time I use this doc I might forget and print messed up page numbers, including a messed up index.
I am at a loss, how do I fix it?
Avagr8day, regards, Peter

Jay Freedman
Microsoft MVP

Re: Footer page number problem

Post by Jay Freedman »

It sounds like you may have a corrupted document, possibly with something fubar'd in one or more section breaks. Look at the suggested procedures in https://wordmvp.com/FAQs/AppErrors/CorruptDoc.htm.

Peter Kinross
5StarLounger

Post by Peter Kinross »

That did indeed look like a good solution. But, sadly, not in this case. All errors promulgated perfectly - BUMMER!
Thanks anyway Jay, really appreciated.

Charles Kenyon
4StarLounger

Post by Charles Kenyon »

Peter Kinross
5StarLounger

Post by Peter Kinross »

Thanks Charles.
I hadn't saved the doc as a template. I just had a base docx that I modified whenever I used it.
Clutching at straws, I have just tried saving it as a template, but, as feared, the errors promulgated through that as well.
I don't think that the QAT applies in this case.
I will have a go at cutting and pasting to see if I can get past the error bits. Wish me luck.
Thanks again.

Guessed
2StarLounger

Post by Guessed »

Peter

It is possible there is a hidden section break. Pay close attention to the section numbering on either side of where the page number changes - does it step by one or two? Change to Draft View so you can see section breaks. Also check there isn't a tracked revision hiding a 'deleted' section break.
Andrew Lockton
Melbourne Australia

Peter Kinross
5StarLounger

Post by Peter Kinross »

Thanks Guessed.
The only section break is the one I want. The doc changes from 1 col to 2 cols at that page break. Before the break it is section 13, after, section 14.
There are no tracked changes in the doc.
I am guessing (right up your alley) that deleting the whole doc, from, and including the 1st bad page, and pasting those pages from another copy (also stuffed) would not help much.
I might try deleting section breaks and re inserting them.

Guessed
2StarLounger

Post by Guessed »

I'm not yet convinced it is a document corruption.

Change to Draft view and verify the type of section break there. If it is an Even Page section break, that could be a reason it starts on p2. While your cursor is in the trailing section, go to Insert > Page Number > Format Page Numbers and verify the page numbering is set to continue from the previous section. If it is, go to the leading section (in front of the section break) and verify it is also continuing page numbers.
Andrew Lockton
Melbourne Australia

Peter Kinross
5StarLounger

Post by Peter Kinross »

In Draft mode the 2 breaks both show as Page breaks, whereas one is a section break to change from 2 to 1 cols (which is working as it should), the other is indeed a Page break (which works as it should). Neither show as even page breaks.
Page numbering is set to continuous in both the leading (P99) and trailing (P100 showing as P2) sections.
Something else I have noticed. Footers up to page 58 show 'Different First Page'. From Page 59 onwards DFP is not selected. If I select DFP anywhere from then on, the Footer disappears.

Guessed
2StarLounger

Post by Guessed »

On the page that shows as P2, does it show that number in the status bar? What is the field code for the page number entry itself?

I would expect that DFP should only be turned on for Section 1 so if were me, I would be turning that off for ALL sections after 1. The only reason you might need DFP in other sections is if you require a Cover Page for chapters or Annexes. If turning it off removes footers, just reinstate them after you have done so.

You have a bunch of section breaks if you are up to section 14 so there may be more complexity than is really required. If you still think it is a corruption, delete the section break, save the doc and place a new section break there.
Andrew Lockton
Melbourne Australia

Charles Kenyon
4StarLounger

Post by Charles Kenyon »

Hi Peter,

The first two links are the ones I was saying you should check. They are two ways to get at a diagnostic tool developed by MVPs, primarily Shauna Kelly. The last two about templates and the QAT are just the brag part of my signature line.
The tool is modestly and accurately called Word Toolkit for Advanced Management of Headers and Footers.

Peter Kinross
5StarLounger

Post by Peter Kinross »

Thanks all.
Sorry for the huge delay in replying to the last few suggestions.
I got so frustrated that eventually I redid the doc from scratch. It took about 3 hours, but it now works.

Charles Kenyon
4StarLounger

Post by Charles Kenyon »

Peter Kinross wrote:Thanks Charles.
I hadn't saved the doc as a template. I just had a base docx that I modified whenever I used it.
Clutching at straws, I have just tried saving it as a template, but, as feared, the errors promulgated through that as well.
I don't think that the QAT applies in this case.
I will have a go at cutting and pasting to see if I can get past the error bits. Wish me luck.
Thanks again.
Hi Peter,

Glad you've got it working.

The templates and QAT links are part of my signature. They are two of my pages I am particularly proud of but have nothing to do with your problem.

I was recommending that you check out the utility originally designed by Shawna Kelly to check section features in a document. It is called the Word Toolkit for Advanced Management of Headers and Footers. Since page numbering is a function, usually, of headers and footers and sections, it can get very complicated in multi-section documents. This lets you see what is going on with each section and each header and footer (including ones that you cannot see in the document).
http://addbalance.com/word/download.htm#HFToolkitOrig
https://wordaddins.com/products/word-to ... d-footers/

It is handy. I moved the button for it to my Header/Footer tab as noted in the first link. I do not use it all that often, but when I do, it is a real timesaver.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Peter Kinross wrote:That did indeed look like a good solution. But, sadly, not in this case. All errors promulgated perfectly - BUMMER!
Thanks anyway Jay, really appreciated.
For future reference. I gleaned this from somewhere long ago:-

Code: Select all

Start Word
On the File menu, click Open.http://www.eileenslounge.com/posting.php?mode=quote&f=26&p=249694
In the Files of type list, click Recover Text from Any File, locate a Word document (.doc) file, and then click Open.
Cheers
Chris
An expensive day out: Wallet and Grimace