Word2003 Footnotes and system calls

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Word2003 Footnotes and system calls

Post by ChrisGreaves »

I know that I am the only lonely person on the planet left using Word2003, but I am amazed at how many quirks continue to pop out of the woodwork.

This morning I was happily plugging footnotes into a document, minding my own business, offending no-one, when I noticed that I had broken away from the footnotes and was typing precious references to Charles Petzold’s text into the main body of my document - immediately after the inserted footnote symbol.
It was a few seconds work to cut and paste the text back into the still-open footnote, check my page reference, and continue typing.

The same thing happened less than a minute later!

¿Que?

Turns out that my Word2003 OnTime macro that saves my file every minute takes control (and presumably wanders off to a Win7HP system event) and returns not to where-I-was-typing-in–the-footnote, but to where-I-was-typing-in-the-body-of-the-document.

From which I deduce that MSWord must use two or more different sets of infernal internal bookmarks to return to where it thought it was before it was interrupted.
Sigh!

I posted this in MSWord because I have experienced it ONLY in MSWord and I suspect that other triggers (other than VBA OnTimne) might exist. As well I'm not at all certain that the behaviour described above is restricted to Footnotes.

Cheers
Chris
I’ve been tidying the junk out of my shed for five years, and now can hardly get into the shed

macropod
4StarLounger

Re: Wotrd2003 Footnotes and system calls

Post by macropod »

When use Shift-F5 in a document in which the last edit was in a footnote, that takes me back to the footnote, not to somewhere in the document body.
Paul Edstein
[Fmr MS MVP - Word]

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Re: Wotrd2003 Footnotes and system calls

Post by ChrisGreaves »

macropod wrote:When use Shift-F5 in a document in which the last edit was in a footnote, that takes me back to the footnote, not to somewhere in the document body.
Fer sure!

Hi Paul! Always good to hear from you.

Try being partway through generating a Footnote, text cursor in the footnote window, and then issue a File, Save.
Where does your text cursor sit now?

I was using Word2003; it may be fixed in Word 2025.
(grin)
Chris
I’ve been tidying the junk out of my shed for five years, and now can hardly get into the shed