Formula for multiplication

jmt356
SilverLounger

Formula for multiplication

Post by jmt356 »

I want the content in the second column of my table to correspond to the number in the first column multiplied by .25. I tried entering the formula =PRODUCT(LEFT)(.25), but I am receiving a Syntax error. Is there another formula I can use?
Regards,

JMT

HansV
Administrator

Re: Formula for multiplication

Post by HansV »

Use

=PRODUCT(LEFT)*0.25

or

=SUM(LEFT)*0.25
Best wishes,
Hans

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

Thank you.

There are other columns to the left of the column to the left of the column that I want to enter the formula into. I do not want those columns to in any way impact the results of the formula. It appears that the first formula is causing all of the figures in all of the columns to the left to be multiplied with one another and then with .25. I only want the column to the immediate left of the column with the formula to be multiplied by .25. Is there a way to achieve this?
Regards,

JMT

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

You can use an Excel-like formula. For example, if the column with the numbers is the third column, enter the following formula in the top cell of the fourth column:

=0.25*C1

Unfortunately, you'll have to create the appropriate formula in each cell individually; as far as I know there is no way to fill this formula down the way you can do in Excel.
Best wishes,
Hans

macropod
4StarLounger

Post by macropod »

HansV wrote:Unfortunately, you'll have to create the appropriate formula in each cell individually; as far as I know there is no way to fill this formula down the way you can do in Excel.
See Relative Referencing in Tables in my Microsoft Word Field Maths Tutorial, at:
http://www.msofficeforums.com/word/3872 ... orial.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
or:
http://www.gmayor.com/downloads.htm#Third_party" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Whether it's worth the effort depends on how many rows you need to do this for.
Paul Edstein
[Fmr MS MVP - Word]