styles linked to Multilevel List not updating paragraphs

New Daddy
4StarLounger

styles linked to Multilevel List not updating paragraphs

Post by New Daddy »

I've set up a multilevel list and want to change the indents.

As per the instruction at https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/mso ... 459cff439d" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, I clicked Home - Paragraph - Define New Multilevel List to bring up the familiar dialog box and changed the indentation.

However, the paragraphs formatted in the styles linked in the multilevel list don't budge!

It's only after I go to each paragraph and remove custom formatting by pressing ctrl+q that these paragraphs take on the indentation that I defined in the dialog box.

But that's it.

These paragraphs won't change at all if I change the indentation through the Define new Multilevel List dialog box for a second or third time!

Usually custom paragraph formatting hinders with styles, but it goes away once and for all when you remove custom paragraph formatting by pressing ctrl+q.

What's happening here?
Last edited by New Daddy on 19 Feb 2018, 12:46, edited 1 time in total.

HansV
Administrator

Re: styles linked to Multilevel List not updating paragraphs

Post by HansV »

It'd be probably be better to modify the styles you used in your multi-level list.
Best wishes,
Hans

New Daddy
4StarLounger

Post by New Daddy »

HansV wrote:It'd be probably be better to modify the styles you used in your multi-level list.
That's where I always get confused.

Yes, you can change the indent by either modifying the Styles or modifying the Multilevel List itself.

I thought you should do the latter, when a style is linked to a multilevel list.

So it's actually the other way around?

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I find this confusing too, it's one of Word's less intuitive features. I think you should use Create Multilevel List the first time, but after that modify the styles. But perhaps the Word experts will say I'm completely wrong...
Best wishes,
Hans

New Daddy
4StarLounger

Post by New Daddy »

New Daddy wrote:I've set up a multilevel list and want to change the indents.

As per the instruction at https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/mso ... 459cff439d" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, I clicked Home - Paragraph - Define New Multilevel List to bring up the familiar dialog box and changed the indentation.

However, the paragraphs formatted in the styles linked in the multilevel list don't budge!

It's only after I go to each paragraph and remove custom formatting by pressing ctrl+q that these paragraphs take on the indentation that I defined in the dialog box.

But that's it.

These paragraphs won't change at all if I change the indentation through the Define new Multilevel List dialog box for a second or third time!

Usually custom paragraph formatting hinders with styles, but it goes away once and for all when you remove custom paragraph formatting by pressing ctrl+q.

What's happening here?
Another idiosyncratic behavior that may be associated with the above problem: when I move around a numbered paragraph, the numbering doesn't update! I don't see this often... It is only after I press ctrl+q and supposedly remove custom paragraph formatting that the numbering comes in sync. But again, only for once. The numbering refuses to update when I move the paragraph to another location.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

That is strange - Word should update numbering on the fly when you rearrange numbered paragraphs. But I don't have experience with (recent versions of) Word for Mac, so I don't know if it behaves differently than Word for Windows in this respect.
Best wishes,
Hans

New Daddy
4StarLounger

Post by New Daddy »

HansV wrote:That is strange - Word should update numbering on the fly when you rearrange numbered paragraphs. But I don't have experience with (recent versions of) Word for Mac, so I don't know if it behaves differently than Word for Windows in this respect.
Well, since you mentioned Word for Mac, the document is being edited by multiple parties; some use Word for Window and others Word for Mac.

Maybe it has bearing on the problem.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I'm afraid I don't have an explanation or solution for this problem.
Best wishes,
Hans

Charles Kenyon
5StarLounger

Post by Charles Kenyon »

Did you actually follow all of the steps given by Shauna Kelly?
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numberi ... 72010.html

This process is very exacting.

Charles Kenyon
5StarLounger

Post by Charles Kenyon »

New Daddy wrote:***

I may be overly cautious, but when I want to do change indentation, I follow all of the steps in Shauna Kelly's page again.
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numberi ... 72010.html

Charles Kenyon
5StarLounger

Post by Charles Kenyon »

HansV wrote:I find this confusing too, it's one of Word's less intuitive features. I think you should use Create Multilevel List the first time, but after that modify the styles. But perhaps the Word experts will say I'm completely wrong...
It's funny, because I consider you one of the Word experts, Hans. Your vba often amazes me.

I find it confusing too. My practice is to do all of the steps to link the multilevel list and the styles over from the start. Since the paragraphs are already linked to the styles, this updates everything. It may be possible to just change it in the multilevel list, but I worry about creating a new competing list. I am not an expert, but I've been burned by spaghetti numbering as much as I care to be.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Thank you for your flattering words - I've always seen you as one of the great Word experts!
Best wishes,
Hans