Centralising Normal.dotm template

MattKarlW
NewLounger

Centralising Normal.dotm template

Post by MattKarlW »

I am on a small closed network of 10 computers. As I have read various posts, it seems that Normal.dotm is stored locally on each computer (Win7, Word365). Can I go into Trusted Locations \ User Templates and move my desired Normal.dotm to a central location so that all computers use same template? I will then lock out all other users from altering template. Any pros and cons to this idea? Thank you.

HansV
Administrator

Re: Centralising Normal.dotm template

Post by HansV »

Welcome to Eileen's Lounge!

Sharing the default template Normal.dotm is possible, but most Word experts consider this to be a bad idea. Even within an organization, individual users need to be able to modify aspects of Word to their personal liking, and some of those preferences are stored in the default template.
You can set the Workgroup Templates folder of all users to a shared (but locked) network folder, and store document templates for general use there.
Or you can copy those templates into the User Templates folder - this could be done in a logon script, so that the templates on the users' computers are kept up-to-date.
If you want to make macros etc. available to all users, you can create a global template (add-in) and store it in the user's Word Startup folder (or point this startup folder to a shared network folder).

Some more info: Distributing macros to other users
Best wishes,
Hans

MattKarlW
NewLounger

Post by MattKarlW »

Thank you very much. In my workplace (dentist), we only need basic Word skills, and the individuals shouldn't really be making changes to the Normal.dotm. That's my privilege!
So, by simple error, some conflicting changes have been made over which I want to exert control. I'll take your sage advice into consideration, and keep a copy of your kind reply for future reference.
Kind regards, Matt.

Charles Kenyon
5StarLounger

Post by Charles Kenyon »

Your avatar from Dr. Strangelove reminds me, for some reason, of Steve Martin's dentist character in Little Shop of Horrors.

The normal.dotm should not be a shared template. Period.
You can force a version by having the network login download the normal template to the local user's templates folder.
http://www.addbalance.com/usersguide/te ... htm#Normal

I'm not sure what problems you are seeing with local modifications.

Much better than trying to lock down the normal template is to have your own custom document templates in a workgroup templates folder and have people preparing your documents based on those templates. In my (law) office none of the documents that leave the office are based on the normal template. It is essentially a scratch pad.

http://www.addbalance.com/usersguide/te ... #Workgroup
http://www.addbalance.com/word/workgrouptemplates.htm