how best to redesign textbox headings?

diana
3StarLounger

how best to redesign textbox headings?

Post by diana »

I have a word document. The orginial designer created the main headings in textboxes.

2 issue have now been revealed:
1. for some reason on document open the textboxes float all over the page (different people work in the document therefore I dont know what theyre doing to cause it, as I always get there after the event :o)
2. spell checker cannot be performed in textboxes/frames

I want to redesign the headings.

I was hoping it maybe easier to place in a table.
Ive formatted the table as 2 columns by 2 rows. I delete the 2nd column, and left one cell.
at the end of paragraph marker I can place my cursor. however when I begin to type text, the result is the text positions itself on the next line.
Also Ive attempted to adjust the margins, without much luck.

I've attached a sample doc

any ideas on how best to redesign?

many thanks

diana
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Peter Kinross
5StarLounger

Re: how best to redesign textbox headings?

Post by Peter Kinross »

Diana. I can't replicate what you are experiencing. I type away and the text goes where it should (I am using Word 2003). I am at a loss as to why your text boxes are moving as they are locked. Maybe the folks who edit the doc actually delete the paragraph that the text box is anchored to, then re-create the text box.
One thing though. The text boxes are anchored to a paragraph inside a table. Is seems that for some reason the original designer used a table to put a line across the doc. Pretty complicated way of doing that. Just insert a line - no table needed. then anchor the text box to the paragraph that the line is in.
Your solution to put it into tables seems a reasonable workaround, but I can't see why you need 2 rows, nor why you delete some cells. You actually said you deleted the 2nd column, but in fact you only deleted a cell. If you had a single row 2 column table and adjusted the 1st col to a narrower width, and widened the 2nd, surely your problem would be solved.
Avagr8day, regards, Peter

diana
3StarLounger

Post by diana »

thanks Peter

"if you had a single row 2 column table and adjusted the 1st col to a narrower width, and widened the 2nd, surely your problem would be solved"

that would mean all text would be enterd into a table in the 2nd column. I wanted to avoid the whole document being formatted as a table.
and the other issue would be if a table was required to be inserted, than that would mean inserting a table within a table.

i had two rows, one was to allow and add the border across the page
i can apply a border that goes across the page

I would like an easy way to have the main heading within an area of approx 3cm & word wrapped. for Words spell checker to pick up the main heading conent. and the text to the right to be in a standard document not in a table.

but im open to suggestions...

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

1. The text boxes remain in their places when I open the document in Word 2007 SP2.
2. Word does spell check the text in the second text box, but not in the first one because that has been set explicitly NOT to check spelling and grammar:
x233.png
If I clear that check box, the text in the first text box does get checked too:
x234.png
Is your installation of Word 2007 up-to-date?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

diana
3StarLounger

Post by diana »

we have Word 2007 SP2

when the users work in the document is when the textboxes float. Im not sure what theyre doing to cause it like I said I get the call after the event.

Regarding spell check
- when I perform a spell check Word does just the document, and not the textboxes
- in the textbox if I mispell a word, word displays as a wavey underline
- I have to manually click in the textbox and perform a spell check. the result is Word then performs a spell check in all the textboxes

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

When I spell check the document, Word first goes through the main document, then automatically continues with the text boxes.

Are you still using a document management system?
Best wishes,
Hans

jonwallace
5StarLounger
Location: "What a mighty long bridge to such a mighty little old town"

Post by jonwallace »

Im not sure what theyre doing to cause it
Out of curiosity (and a little bit off-topic), I loaded your document into Openoffice.org 3 and immediately saved it back out as a .doc. It hasn't turned out exactly as you describe but it does look a bit odd... Have a look at this (slightly fuzzy) screenshot. Maybe your users are naughty (or frugal).
John

“Always trust a microbiologist because they have the best chance of predicting when the world will end”
― Teddie O. Rahube

IanWilson
3StarLounger

Post by IanWilson »

diana wrote:I have a word document. The orginial designer created the main headings in textboxes.

2 issue have now been revealed:
1. for some reason on document open the textboxes float all over the page (different people work in the document therefore I dont know what theyre doing to cause it, as I always get there after the event :o)
2. spell checker cannot be performed in textboxes/frames

I want to redesign the headings.

I was hoping it maybe easier to place in a table.
Ive formatted the table as 2 columns by 2 rows. I delete the 2nd column, and left one cell.
at the end of paragraph marker I can place my cursor. however when I begin to type text, the result is the text positions itself on the next line.
Also Ive attempted to adjust the margins, without much luck.

I've attached a sample doc

any ideas on how best to redesign?

many thanks

diana
I attach my version which I think does what you were trying to do. Your table had two rows. The first row had two cells and went the whole width of the page. The second row only had the first cell, in which you had typed your heading. I have deleted the empty first row and changed the wrapping settings for the table. See the screenshot I've added in the document.

Ian

diana
3StarLounger

Post by diana »

thanks Ian
that worked!

quick question...
With applying table Text wrapping,
if my heading style has no auto-numbering is formatted as Paragraph left indent 4cm. when I use this heading style next to the table the indentation appears correct.
if my heading style has auto-numbering and formatted with Paragraph left indent 4cm. The result when this heading style is used next to the table is , the heading style is 4cm away from the table.

This is inconsistant indentation.

see my attached doc

I wonder if this is a new "feature" in Word 2007? or if this is standard behaviour?

Many thanks
diana

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I can reproduce the behavior that you describe. It also occurs with shapes whose wrapping style has been set to Square or Tight.
Best wishes,
Hans

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I have also tested your document in Word 2003. The behavior is exactly the same - numbered or bulleted paragraphs apply the left indent from the floating object, not from the margin. So it's not a new feature in Word 2007.
Best wishes,
Hans

diana
3StarLounger

Post by diana »

back...

thank you

yes the numbered or bulleted paragraphs have a left indent of 4cm from the margin/or object. i understand
However the heading style without numbering next to the table, heading style name is "Summary" is formatted with a left indent of 4cms. However doesnt indent 4cms from the margin or object.

formatted with the same left indent, therefore I would have expected the same layout...however displays different results

Thats what I dont get... the inconsistancy :scratch:

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I agree that it is not consistent. It appears to be a bug in the way Word handles text wrapping around floating objects for different types of paragraphs. It already occurred in Word 2003 and it hasn't been corrected in Word 2007. Perhaps it has been corrected in Word 2010, but I doubt it.
The problem doesn't occur for text boxes, however.
Best wishes,
Hans

diana
3StarLounger

Post by diana »

thanks Hans

yes I had a feeling it maybe a Word bug.

thanks again Hans

diana