show/hide ruler button not at top of scroll bar (Word 2016)

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

show/hide ruler button not at top of scroll bar (Word 2016)

Post by stuck »

Is it an 'improvement' that the little toggle button that showed/hid the rulers and that was located at the top of the scroll bar in Word 2010 no longer exists in Word 2016 (I never used Word 2013)?

Ken

HansV
Administrator

Re: show/hide ruler button not at top of scroll bar (Word 20

Post by HansV »

Yes, Microsoft counts that as an improvement. The View Ruler button was removed in Word 2013, as well as the Split Window button.

These options are still available on the View tab of the ribbon.
Best wishes,
Hans

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

HansV wrote:Yes, Microsoft counts that as an improvement...
:thumbup: :yep: real progress there :innocent:

And while we talking about that bit of the window... The little up arrow sits just above the scroll bar and collapses the Ribbon, I've come across users that have occidentally hit that instead of the up arrow on the scroll bar and then (worryingly?) not noticed that the Ribbon has collapsed, since clicking on a tab then reveals the tab. "Oh, I though that was just the way this new version of Word worked."

:sigh:

Ken

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Still better than hitting it orientally... :evilgrin:
Best wishes,
Hans

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

And of course, with just about everyone closing programs with "X" in the top right corner*, Microsoft decided to remove Exit from File tab/menu (Backstage view).

(Removing features is the new black. There was a period when every new version came with at least some great new features, obviously. Yes, it's a mature product, but some changes are plain silly.)

*They do tests, and apparently, :sigh: some folks were confused by "Close" and "Exit".
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

HansV wrote:Still better than hitting it orientally... :evilgrin:
:laugh: I'll not correct my typo as it would spoil the joke. :laugh:

Ken

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Argus wrote:...*They do tests, and apparently, :sigh: some folks were confused by "Close" and "Exit".
More likely it's analysis of all the telemetry that goes back to the MS servers and works out that 'nobody' uses that feature so it may as well go.

:cranky: Which means the minority that have more than a basic grasp of Word/Excel/etc. get stuffed by the vast majority that use the Office apps for trivial tasks that could be done better and quicker with pen and paper.

Ken

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

The ribbon was the result of observing people who weren't used to Office applications...
Best wishes,
Hans

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

stuck wrote:
Argus wrote:...*They do tests, and apparently, :sigh: some folks were confused by "Close" and "Exit".
More likely it's analysis of all the telemetry that goes back to the MS servers and works out that 'nobody' uses that feature so it may as well go.
Could be, but I'm not sure. They have been introducing an awful lot of telemetric since then, in Office, and whatnot in Windows 8.x and Windows 10, even outside beta and technical previews. But, yes, they did use telemetry then as well. Just thought I saw it mentioned somewhere in relation to usability tests, could be wrong (I think I read all their UI blog posts back in 2006 ish, and later on several for Office 14, so I can have mixed up with something else.)

Anyhow.
They did usability tests when developing Office 12, Office 2007.
Usability Stockholm Syndrome [MSFT TechNet]

And they did similar with for example Office 14, Office 2010.
Evolving the Backstage View [MSFT TechNet]

Personally I think Office 2010 is way better than 2007, especially from an UI point of view. The last link shows some of the thoughts when the Office button evolved to be a tab among others, the File tab ...

I agree with your last comment.
:cranky: I can't stand Office 2013. :yikes: So far I've very little experience from Office 2016, but it seems to be better than 2013.
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

stuck wrote:And while we talking about that bit of the window... The little up arrow sits just above the scroll bar and collapses the Ribbon, I've come across users that have occidentally hit that instead of the up arrow on the scroll bar and then (worryingly?) not noticed that the Ribbon has collapsed, since clicking on a tab then reveals the tab. "Oh, I though that was just the way this new version of Word worked."
Not as obvious as rotating the screen with some odd key combination.
(There is also another category of "mishaps", on the opposite end of the scale; when you think you are doing a clever hack, changing something in the registry, removing a protocol, disable a service, and then promptly forgets them. Been there ...)

Although I appreciate some extra screen real estate I prefer the full ribbon since it is then possible to scroll the different tabs with the mouse wheel.

Diana van den Berg
4StarLounger

Post by Diana van den Berg »

HansV wrote:Still better than hitting it orientally... :evilgrin:
Sorry, to butt in, but just had to say I giggled delightedly at the typo and double-much at Hans' brilliant reply! :laugh: I came in to ask a question, but stole some time to read more, as I often do and I received double entertainment unexpectedly. :smile: Thank you both!