Word 2010 recents list listed twice on File tab

AlbuquerqueKaren
NewLounger

Word 2010 recents list listed twice on File tab

Post by AlbuquerqueKaren »

In Word 2010, when user clicks on the File tab, then Recents, she sees the list in the normal position but they are also listed at the extreme left with New, Open, Save, Save As, Print, etc. She thinks she pressed something by accident to make it happen but she doesn't remember what. Any suggestions?

HansV
Administrator

Re: Word 2010 recents list listed twice on File tab

Post by HansV »

Perhaps she ticked the check box "Quickly access this number of recent documents" at the bottom of File > Recent. This causes the specified number of recent documents to be listed in the left-hand pane of the File menu.
This setting is also available in File > Options, under Display.
Best wishes,
Hans

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Hi Karen,

It looks like the e-mail address in your profile is no longer valid, so the e-mail notification of my reply bounced. Please update your e-mail address in Edit account settings.
Best wishes,
Hans

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

HansV wrote:Perhaps she ticked the check box "Quickly access this number of recent documents" at the bottom of File > Recent. This causes the specified number of recent documents to be listed in the left-hand pane of the File menu.
This setting is also available in File > Options, under Display.
I don't think it's available under Options > Advanced > Display in 2010. (Could be wrong, there's an awful lot under Advanced. :eyeout: ) But the first option you mentioned, in the Backstage View Recent, is there.

(The limited width of the optional list makes it less than useful, in my opinion.)
2017-07-09_A.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Thanks, I'll check tomorrow in the English-language version of Word 2010.
Best wishes,
Hans

Jay Freedman
Microsoft MVP

Post by Jay Freedman »

Argus is correct. In 2010, Options > Advanced > Display contains only the option for "Show this number of Recent Documents", which controls the length of the right-hand list. The setting for "Quickly access this number of Recent Documents" was moved to Options > Advanced in 2013, to make room on the Backstage for the Recover Unsaved Documents link.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

OK, thanks. I'll edit my original reply.
Best wishes,
Hans