Word 2010 and Windows Paint

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Word 2010 and Windows Paint

Post by hlewton »

In Word 2010 and in Windows Paint on a Win 10 machine I can't seem to save files anymore I get a message saying, "There are no more files." Any ideas why and how I can fix this?

Thanks.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Re: Word 2010 and Windows Paint

Post by HansV »

Did you install a new utility, or an update of an already present one?
Best wishes,
Hans

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

Comments on the Internet seem to link the problem to ASUS computers, the ADSM service (ASUS Data Security Manager), and a recent update to Windows 10.

On the other hand, it's been seen before, so it could be malware, other third-party security software etc.
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

It appears to be a diverse problem. I also found BitDefender, Comodo Cleaner and Folder Lock 6 as possible culprits...
Best wishes,
Hans

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

Yes, that seems to be the case. Some background, context, is needed.
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

HansV wrote:Did you install a new utility, or an update of an already present one?
No but I did get it fixed I believe. Soon as I find the link I'll post it.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Argus wrote:Comments on the Internet seem to link the problem to ASUS computers, the ADSM service (ASUS Data Security Manager), and a recent update to Windows 10.

On the other hand, it's been seen before, so it could be malware, other third-party security software etc.
My solution was uninstalling the ASUS Data Security Manager. Found it at this link - https://www.tenforums.com/general-suppo ... files.html Win 10 is proving to be a big pain in the butt and it's not just for me.
Regards,
hlewton

Jay Freedman
Microsoft MVP

Post by Jay Freedman »

As far as I can see, Win 10 is no more pain in the butt than any previous version of Windows for the first year or two after release. It always takes time and some people's pain before all the third-party drivers, antivirus programs, and other stuff that depends on the deep innards of the OS gets straightened out.

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Jay Freedman wrote:As far as I can see, Win 10 is no more pain in the butt than any previous version of Windows for the first year or two after release. It always takes time and some people's pain before all the third-party drivers, antivirus programs, and other stuff that depends on the deep innards of the OS gets straightened out.
I'm sure you're right. It is just frustrating to have strange things happening so often and it seems that I usually see many problems that others may not be experiencing. Thankfully though there also seems to be a fair share of others in the same boat and usually someone comes up with a solutions sooner or later.
Regards,
hlewton

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

There's also the fact that Word 2010 was conceived long before Win 10 (and is close to end-of-life) so there is always the chance that some of the pain is because the 'old dog' is living in a 'new trick' environment.

Ken
:whisper: this observation brought to you by the guy who still uses Word 97 on his home PC because even that is waaaaay more powerful than his home word processing needs, not to mention the fact he's a Scot by birth and has lived all his life in Yorkshire so thrift is a natural way of thinking

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

That message ("There are no more files") has been seen on a couple of Windows versions, XP, Windows 7 etc. It could be caused by malware or third party software etc. Some had problems with the ADSM service in for example 2014, before Win10 was around.

I agree with you Ken that in some rare cases there can be problems with, for example, a mix of old Office version and a new OS. That said, according to MSFT Office 2010, 2013 and 2016 are tested and fully supported by Windows 10. Office 2007 isn't, it moved out of mainstream support to extended support in October 2012, before Windows 10 was finished. Office 2010 moved out of mainstream support after Windows 10 was released, October 2015.

As for close to end-of-life, I would say that would be Office 2007 (on last SP); its extended support ends 10 October this year. Office 2010 SP2 is also in extended support and that will end 13 October 2020.

PJ_in_FL
5StarLounger

Post by PJ_in_FL »

Jay Freedman wrote:As far as I can see, Win 10 is no more pain in the butt than any previous version of Windows for the first year or two after release. It always takes time and some people's pain before all the third-party drivers, antivirus programs, and other stuff that depends on the deep innards of the OS gets straightened out.
Jay,

I have to respectively disagree with that statement. I've never had any OS repeatedly refuse to use the utilities I've designated for photos, videos, etc. under the pretext of "can't be sure they're secure because they didn't update the heap correctly, so we'll just not use them".

It's MY computer (actually my wife's), but it was updated WITHOUT permission, and now refuses to use MY programs.

Sorry but this is far beyond start up pain as these "feetures" have been designed in. Given some much needed vacation time and I might spend some of it teaching my wife to use MINT.
PJ in (usually sunny) FL

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

I agree with you, PJ, that Windows 10 is a different breed. All operating systems have problems with drivers etc. during an initial period, yes. But Windows 10 has, for example, increased the inconsistency in the UI to a completely new level (including settings in different places etc.); changed the modus operandi for updates; and is, after two years, still a work in progress. One shouldn't debate taste, but colours are, eh, not good. Increased telemetry; advertisements. There are so many comments that could be made (and I've only tested a couple versions in virtual machines, and spent some time with a laptop running Win10), that it would fill a new thread.

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

stuck wrote:There's also the fact that Word 2010 was conceived long before Win 10 (and is close to end-of-life) so there is always the chance that some of the pain is because the 'old dog' is living in a 'new trick' environment.

Ken
:whisper: this observation brought to you by the guy who still uses Word 97 on his home PC because even that is waaaaay more powerful than his home word processing needs, not to mention the fact he's a Scot by birth and has lived all his life in Yorkshire so thrift is a natural way of thinking
Really sorry to hear this because I searched and managed to find a new Office Professional 2010 and purchased it. I also have Office 365 and HATE, HATE, HATE Outlook 2016. That is why I looked for and bought another copy of Office 2010 which I installed on my recent laptop purchase. What I hate about Outlook 2016 is I cannot set it up to see the calendar as I am used to in Outlook 2010 and as my wife was so used to using. MS makes a lot of changes without considering what its users want IMO. How bad I hate Outlook 2016 is I still have licenses for 4 more Office 2016 installations and don't want to have to use them as long as I can keep Office 2010 updated and safe to use.
Regards,
hlewton