change default location of My Data Sources

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

change default location of My Data Sources

Post by stuck »

I'm sure this can't be done but I'll ask anyway...

The default source for a Mail Merge 'existing list' is the PC's \My Data Sources folder, which is a subfolder of My documents. I want to change that to be a folder on the network. Google has only been able to point me to stuff about how you can change this folder by a reg. hack BUT the folder you change it MUST be within My documents. Thus you can tweak it to point to C:\My Documents\anotherFolder but you can't tweak it to point to N:\myNetworkFolder.

Is this still the case? I'm using Office 365 (aka Office 2016) on Windows 7.

If it is still limited like this then how stupid is that? Since when has any business user kept their mail merge source files on a local PC when the all the businesses data is held on a network?

Ken

HansV
Administrator

Re: change default location of My Data Sources

Post by HansV »

It hasn't changed, but Graham Mayor describes a trick to get to any folder the C: drive, in Mail merge with Word 2007/2016. I don't think it is possible to divert it to another drive.

You might try placing a shortcut to the network folder inside the My Data Sources Folder. If that works, it would at least reduce the number of clicks to get to it.
Best wishes,
Hans

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Re: change default location of My Data Sources

Post by stuck »

HansV wrote:You might try placing a shortcut to the network folder inside the My Data Sources Folder...
Already tried that, it doesn't show up in the dialog.

Simplest solution I've come up with is based on that idea though. Ensure there is a 'Favourite' that points to a relevant folder on the network, one click on that and you jump from the local PC to the network.

Ken