Weird text box corruption

Peter Kinross
5StarLounger

Weird text box corruption

Post by Peter Kinross »

In one of my Word 2010 .DOCXs, some text boxes are repeatedly corrupted as below. The top one changes to the bottom one.
17Jun29TextBoxes.jpg
Both are Times New Roman, but the bottom one is clearly a LOT further down the char list.
It is always the same text boxes that are corrupted and the same ones that escape corruption.
Only a very small proportion of the text boxes are corrupted. I'm guessing but around 8 out of 50.
I don't do anything to these, but after a short time if I open the doc they are changed. Well most of the time, occasionally there is no change.
I resurrect them from a File History version. But that doesn't last very long, usually next time I open the doc the text boxes are stuffed.
I have just tried recreating one of the text boxes rather than cut & paste form an old version. While I was working on that doc, the recreated text box became corrupted!
The doc is password protected. I had a go at saving it in 2003 version and a dialog came up saying the doc was encrypted and password protected. I have never encrypted it, but maybe that's what Word does when a password is applied. The 2003 version messed up a lot of the formatting so I reverted to the docx version.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Avagr8day, regards, Peter

HansV
Administrator

Re: Weird text box corruption

Post by HansV »

I doubt that we can do anything about this, but if you wish you can attach a small sample document with a corrupted text box so that we can investigate it.
Best wishes,
Hans

Peter Kinross
5StarLounger

Post by Peter Kinross »

Might have solved it.
The doc was saved as a macro enabled doc (.docm) - no idea why I did that. I saved it as an ordinary .docx, rebuilt all the problem text boxes. Now it all seems to be going swimmingly, although it is early days yet, but my fingers are crossed. This problem has been going on for a few months so I hope it works.
One other thing, the docm doc wasn't being backed up by File History. Any ideas why?
Avagr8day, regards, Peter

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

No idea, sorry. File History shouldn't look at file types...
Best wishes,
Hans