Study of Spelling/Typographical errors

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Study of Spelling/Typographical errors

Post by ChrisGreaves »

A quick study of the Find and Replace values in a set of over 4,000 rules (essentially recordings of corrections made) indicates many sources of error. Amongst these can be seen:-
(1) We need to remove one superfluous character /appliacation/application/
(2) We need to swap two adjacent characters /serach/search/
(3) We need to substitute from a set of phonetically similar consonants /emphasise/emphasize/
(4) We need to replace a single character with one of the surrounding eight characters from the keyboard /cjaracter/ character/ (where the character “h” is surrounded by the eight characters “tyujmnbg”)
To this end we might analyze a set of rules to determine our most common fault.
RulesReplaceRule 1Rule 2Rule 3Rule 4
59%18%10%2%12%
42%
4,294 rules were examined. These are from a rules table that has not been cleaned, so many rules are duplicates. That is, we will find some examples where Find=”search” and Replace =”search”.
• Of the 4294 rules, only 2,551 or 59% sported a replacement string, and hence were candidates for the study.
• Of the 2,551 find/replace rules, 447 or about 18% were of the type 1 error – superfluous character.
• Of the 2,551, 260 or about 10% were of the type 2 error – swapped characters.
• Of the 2,551, 51 or about 2% were of the type 3 error – homophonic characters.
• Of the 2,551, 300 or about 12% were of the type 4 error – slip-of-the-finger.

The "rules" contain overlap in the sense that one rule may exist for different folders. A single rule for a specific folder counts as one rule, although it my be applied thousands of times.

Cheers
Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
By definition, educating the client is the consultant’s first objective

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Re: Study of Spelling/Typographical errors

Post by John Gray »

You are no doubt familiar with that well-known theatrical play device to explain part of the plot to the audience, where one character asks another, "Why are you telling us this?"...
John Gray

All my life I have tried multiplying really large numbers by zero.
That amounted to nothing.​​

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Re: Study of Spelling/Typographical errors

Post by ChrisGreaves »

John Gray wrote:You are no doubt familiar with that well-known theatrical play device to explain part of the plot to the audience, where one character asks another, "Why are you telling us this?"...
Well, yes, indeed. :blush:
But for many a year I have pondered over this, that I am well-read, and consider myself to be a reasonably good speller, and yet my two-fingered typing is atrocious.

I was curious as to the sort of typographical errors I make.
Some of my errors are from the confusing field of Anglo/Aussie/Canadian/USA English, I know.

Too, I am curious about which times of day render me more susceptible to each type of error.
Cheers
Chris

P.S. Someone has posted that "Why are you telling us this?" is a typo, and that the original manuscript script read "Why are you selling us this?" :rofl:
By definition, educating the client is the consultant’s first objective