unwanted headers / footers

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

unwanted headers / footers

Post by Dave Davison »

For some unknown reason an entire important WORD doc has suddenly become infested with numerous headers and footers which I cannot delete despite following the instructions in the Help file. The file is also uneditable, would very much appreciate help with this never seen before anomaly. :scratch: :thankyou: Dave.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

HansV
Administrator

Re: unwanted headers / footers

Post by HansV »

If the entire document cannot be edited, it is probably protected.
Activate the Review tab of the ribbon, and click Restrict Editing in the Protect group. This will display the Restrict Editing task pane.
Is there a 'Stop Protection' button in this pane?
Best wishes,
Hans

Charles Kenyon
5StarLounger

Post by Charles Kenyon »

What I am seeing is not unwanted headers/footers. What I am seeing is the header/footer view with blank headers/footers. The dashed line across the page shows where the header or footer would go if you had a header or footer.

If you print or go into print preview (not print view) you should not see anything other than your pages.

Headers and footers can be very useful to your readers, especially when used with a StyleRef field. http://www.addbalance.com/usersguide/fi ... m#STYLEREF

Jay Freedman
Microsoft MVP

Post by Jay Freedman »

Following on from Charles's correct interpretation of the screen shot, what you need is to close the header/footer view. The easiest way is to double-click anywhere in the body of the text. If your preference is for buttons, the Header & Footer Tools ribbon (which is visible only when the headers and footers are displayed) has a Close Header and Footer button at the right end.

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

Thanks for the replies, I followed the directions of Hans and seemed to be directed to some on-line page which asked for certain details so just made a hasty retreat then -don't quite remember what I clicked on - but the dotted lines vanished and the doc is now editable so all's well that ends well. Many thanks again Dave.

kdock
5StarLounger

Post by kdock »

Dave,

Notwithstanding the issue Hans addressed, and from your screen shot, it looks like you somehow entered Header and Footer Design mode (you can tell by the blue tabs on the dashed blue lines that say "First Page Footer" and so forth). You may have clicked the Close Header and Footer button, pressed the Esc key, or just clicked within the body of the document--which hid the lines showing the boundaries of the H&F, and plunked your cursor back into the document itself.

The instructions you showed for removing the Header and Footer just tell you how to remove content from the Header and Footer. The areas for the H/F are still there, just empty.

Just wanted to give you a little context, in case you find yourself in a header or footer again. K
"Hmm. What does this button do?" Said everyone before being ejected from a car, blown up, or deleting all the data from the mainframe.