Word does not underline spelling errors in document

jmt356
SilverLounger

Word does not underline spelling errors in document

Post by jmt356 »

I have a 340 page document whose spelling errors Word is not underlining with a red squiggly line. Word is underlining spelling errors in other documents. I believe my document is either too long or perhaps it has too many spelling errors for Word to recognize. However, I am not certain of the cause of this issue. Is there a a way to get Word to automatically underline spelling errors?
Regards,

JMT

HansV
Administrator

Re: Word does not underline spelling errors in document

Post by HansV »

Select the entire document (Ctrl+A).
On the Review tab of the ribbon, click Language > Set Proofing Language...
(If the language is shown in the status bar of the document window, you can click there instead.)
The 'Do not check spelling or grammar' check box probably looks like in the screenshot below:
S1312.png
Click the check box until it is clear (in the above situation you'd have to click it twice).
If the entire document uses one language, select that language in the list.
Click OK.

If this doesn't help:
Select File > Options.
Select Proofing in the navigation pane on the left.
Make sure that the appropriate check boxes are ticked in the section 'When checking spelling and grammar in Word', and also make sure that the check boxes under 'Exceptions for (document name)' are NOT ticked.
S1313.png
Click OK.

If that still doesn't help:
Select File > Options.
Select Proofing in the navigation pane on the left.
Click the button 'Recheck Document' in the section 'When checking spelling and grammar in Word'.
Click OK.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

Charles Kenyon
5StarLounger

Post by Charles Kenyon »

I expect that Hans' response will take care of your problem.
If not, see http://wordfaqs.mvps.org/MasterSpellCheck.htm

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

Hans, Solution 1 regarding clearing the "Do not check spelling or grammar" tick from the Language dialogue in the Review ribbon did not work, but Solution 2 to clear the "Hide spelling errors in this document only" and "Hide grammar errors in this document only" under File | Options | Proofing fixed the issue for me. Thank you.
Regards,

JMT