Definitive List of "Linked" Field Source Files

JimmyC
3StarLounger

Definitive List of "Linked" Field Source Files

Post by JimmyC »

I know that MS Word 2010 can "link" fields to other MS applications (Excel, PowerPoint, etc.) Can MS Word fields be linked to other file types?

I have tried using a txt, csv and ini file type but none of these file types seem to permit a "link" to the Word field (i.e. you are permitted to only copy the current value into the document without a link to capture future changes in the value). I have been researching a bit but cannot seem to find a definitive list of files types that can be used as the "source" file to create a "linked" field in an MS Word document.

Perhaps, I already have the answer---the source file has to be a Microsoft office application file. Can anyone confirm? Thank you
JimC

HansV
Administrator

Re: Definitive List of "Linked" Field Source Files

Post by HansV »

Although other applications might support object linking and embedding, you're basically limited to Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and perhaps OneNote (I haven't tried the latter). You can link Word, Excel and PowerPoint content in Publisher, but not vice versa.
Best wishes,
Hans

JimmyC
3StarLounger

Post by JimmyC »

Hans---thank you for the confirmation. Jim

macropod
4StarLounger

Post by macropod »

You can indeed link a Word document to txt & csv files. Simply choose Insert|Object|Text from file, then choose the file type (e.g. *.txt or *.*), navigate to the relevant folder and choose the file. Having done that, choose 'Insert as Link' from the 'Insert' dropdown and the file will be inserted in linked form.
Paul Edstein
[Fmr MS MVP - Word]

JimmyC
3StarLounger

Post by JimmyC »

Paul,
Thank you for the reply!

I have followed your instruction and successfully linked a txt file. In Word 2010, there does not appear to be a prompt when opening the Word document to update text from the txt link. You must remember to update the inserted text manually (i.e., I have righted clicked on the text in Word from the linked txt and selected update field). Is this correct?

This process brings all of the text in the text file into the document. Is there any way to link specific fields in a txt file like you can with Excel? I need the ability to take each field in a txt file to a different location in the word document.

Thank you for your help...I greatly appreciate you taking your valuable time to help me. Jim

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Unlike Word documents and Excel workbooks, text files don't support linking to a specific part of the file. You can only create a link to the entire text file.
Best wishes,
Hans

JimmyC
3StarLounger

Post by JimmyC »

Hans--thanks for the confirmation. Looks like I am back using Excel for the field links to the Word document. Thanks again, Jim