Hiding Word Form Field Text without hiding content control

teachesms
2StarLounger

Hiding Word Form Field Text without hiding content control

Post by teachesms »

Need help on this one.

How do I remove the text from a date content control in a word form without removing the content control visibility. The reasoning I have to do this is because if no one uses the content control then "Click to Enter a Date" is actually printed out when the document prints. I thought changing the style of the place holder text to always hidden would help, but all that does is hide the content control as well, so no one would know it was there unless they click carefully where it is supposed to be. Then it appears. That is not going to work. I'd like the content control visible when a user TABS to the field, yet be empty if they don't use it at print time.

See photo of field issue attached.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If you can't convince them, confuse them - Harry S. Truman

Nannette

Rudi
gamma jay

Re: Hiding Word Form Field Text without hiding content contr

Post by Rudi »

I'm not sure if this is the "correct" way to do it, but if you activate the controls design mode, you can replace the "Enter the date..." words with spaces. Please note that leaving it blank does not work, and I'd recommend adding enough spaces to ensure the control is wide enough.
SC003.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Greg Maxey describes three different solutions in great detail in Content Controls – Don't Print Placeholder Text. They all require VBA code.
Best wishes,
Hans

teachesms
2StarLounger

Post by teachesms »

Rudi
That does work...but tell me, why would the TAB key move a user from a date content control straight to another date content control instead of to the legacy text field beside it. Is there a way to insist on a tab order in the document, or do the newer content controls take precedence?
Last edited by teachesms on 09 Jul 2016, 21:03, edited 1 time in total.

Nannette

teachesms
2StarLounger

Post by teachesms »

Hans,
Yes, I read those three. A bit over the top. I'd just as soon use legacy controls and have the user type in the date and time then go through those 3 options. I'm too rusty to tackle them.

Nannette

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Hi Nannette,

Mixing the controls seems to complicate things a lot! I have little experience in using these content controls (and prefer to stick to the legacy controls exclusively). All I can do is point you to a few posts by Word MVP's that deal with this TAB issue through controls and hope you can pick up some advice around it.

See Jay's method here
See the Word MVP site (dealing with this topic) here. (PS: I'm not sure for which version of Word this is for)?
See Greg Maxey's advice here, including a macro 3/4 way down that might do the trick.
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

teachesms
2StarLounger

Post by teachesms »

Rudi,

Thank you Rudi. Personally I love the calendar control for those not good at typing, but believe I'm just going to use ALL legacy fields. The user will just have to type in the date and time and then I don't have to worry about where they tab next...it automatically goes to the next field. All things considered it still beats the plain table they are using now with no protection and field style and character limits. Why does Microsoft with all their new versions not fix this stuff? UGH!!!

Nannette

Charles Kenyon
5StarLounger

Post by Charles Kenyon »

Be aware that legacy form fields in legacy documents can be problems in Word 2013 and later. Also, I agree that you should not mix legacy form fields and content controls.

Graham Mayor has an Add-In (free) that can convert legacy form fields to content controls if you would want to use it. You can find it here: http://www.gmayor.com/ExtractDataFromForms.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

See http://www.msofficeforums.com/word/3181 ... 013-a.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for an example of legacy fields not working well.

macropod
4StarLounger

Post by macropod »

teachesms wrote:The user will just have to type in the date and time and then I don't have to worry about where they tab next...it automatically goes to the next field
Provided you don't mix content controls & formfields, tabbing should work fine for content controls all except the Rich Text content control (which accepts tabs as input).
Paul Edstein
[Fmr MS MVP - Word]