Problem with Section Breaks

aespeckh
NewLounger

Problem with Section Breaks

Post by aespeckh »

Hi!

I'm having a problem where Word is treating "next page" section breaks like continuous section breaks. (This is especially a problem for my headers, because Word isn't recognizing when I have started a new section and therefore puts the old info.) I'm attaching a section of my document where this is happening.

Thanks so much for your help!

Anna
Last edited by aespeckh on 24 Jun 2016, 20:22, edited 1 time in total.

HansV
Administrator

Re: Problem with Section Breaks

Post by HansV »

Welcome to Eileen's Lounge!

I see four sections in your document, starting on pages 1, 15, 16, and 24. The headers and footers of each subsequent section are set to "Same as previous".

Can you indicate where exactly you see a problem? Thanks in advance.
Best wishes,
Hans

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

It looks like the original poster may have deleted the Word document, making this thread meaningless.
StuartR

aespeckh
NewLounger

Post by aespeckh »

Sorry about that! My problem has been solved. How should I note that?

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

When I analysed the attached document I was in agreement with Hans's observation that the headers were linked to the previous. My guess is that Anna unlinked the headers and this may have resolved the issue.

Hi Anna, welcome to the lounge from me too.

In future, if you post a supporting attachment, ensure that it is sufficiently desensitized so that you do not feel the need to remove it once the post has been resolved. As Stuart has mentioned, it throws the thread out of context and others who read the thread later (having the same issue) find it difficult to learn and find solutions from it.

TX.
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Anna discovered that the problem actually didn't occur in the reduced version of the document that she attached, so there was little point in leaving it in the thread.

She sent me the full document by e-mail. There are two continuous section breaks that can't be removed because they are part of an index. The index specifies two columns, so Word has to create continuous section breaks before and after the index. These breaks are inside the INDEX field, so they cannot be removed separately.

Other continuous section breaks could be replaced with next page section breaks without problems.
Best wishes,
Hans

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

Thank you for the explanation Hans
StuartR

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

aespeckh wrote:Sorry about that! My problem has been solved. How should I note that?
You just need to post a reply saying that the problem is solved. We don't "close" threads here because they can be interesting discussions for other people with similar issues.
StuartR

aespeckh
NewLounger

Post by aespeckh »

Thanks everyone! My problem is resolved, and Hans gave a great explanation of what happened above. In the future I'll try to make sure I explain the situation more fully in my posts so that they can help others as well. Thanks again!

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

Welcome to the lounge from me too, it's good to hear that your problem is now solved.
StuartR